Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get my engine and tranny out soon, and it looks like it'll be easiest to drop the tranny first (it's a C4). I've got a few questions though:

1. How tall is the bellhousing? It looks like I'll need about 18" clearance - does this sound about right?

2. How heavy is a '66 C4? I'm not sure what kind of room I'll have for a jack.

3. What's the easiest way to get it out from underneath? It looks liek I'll have to drop it down, and then slide it out from the front of the car. Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance.

-Brian

66restomod's Home Page
[color:red]Last Updated: 4/13/2001</font color=red>

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
It seems most folks find pulling the engine with the trans the easiest way to go however if you need to drop the trans first, I have done it by raising the car up on jack stands at least 2' using 4X4 blocks as extensions. This probably isn't safe so I'd recommend larger jack stands used for big rigs. Anyway, I had the car on 4 jack stands, use a floor jack to rest the trans on, remove all the bolts and crossmember and lower the jack one the trans clears the engine. once the jack has bottomed out, I'd walk it off the jack onto a large sheet of cardboard or plywood and then pull the sheet out from under the car. I think a C4 weighs 125lbs.

I have a hunch there're easier ways to do this.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Everyone has a different opinion, for me the far easiest way is to remove the engine/transmission is as an assembly. I have found that one of those "engine tilters" from Harbor Freight is invaluable when removing/installing an engine and transmission this way. You will need to remove the pulley from the crankshaft to give yourself plenty of room.

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
View Album Here: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1616948&a=12352157

1 - 3 of 3 Posts