Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I drove about four hours to check out a '66 convertible on Saturday. According to the seller, it had 21,000 original miles and the original owner only drove it as a show car. All it needed was a paint touch up, a few bubbles of rust taken care of, and a new part here and there to be showroom quality. I have to admit from thirty yards, it looked like showroom quality.
What the owner negleted to tell me (until I drove four hours of course), was that the original owner let it rot in a barn for fifteen years. I saw rust around the instrument panel, which I didn't expect. The "superb!!" interior was kind of rough, but ok. The current owner tried to touch up the paint himself, but admitted he only made it worse. He also admitted to leaving it top-down while camping, as he reached behind the seats and pulled out a handfull of pine needles. Ugh.
Anyone else have any stories like this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although the four hour trip back home must have been an unpleasant experience, you'll have to admit the trip was worth it. Buying under the pretense of the current owner is a risky proposition to say the least. Buyer beware!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I drove 3 hours to Ohio to look at a 66 coupe and found out it when I arrived that it was a 65 titled as a 66. It is in pretty good shape but needs alot more work. It was listed as half restored. It's more like 10%. The car could not be driven because the pullies on the motor didn't line up. The belts were on there but you could not rev it over 2000 RPM. I did leave with the car though. I found the correct vin numbers and the title is now changed back to a 65. It is going to be a resto mod project.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Hardly for nothing. Imagine if you had purchased it, sight unseen!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
When I was looking for my boyfriends fastback, I drove over two hours in one direction several times (Dallas 2.5 hours from Georgetown; Houston 3.5 hours; San Antonio 1.75 hours) to see "MINT" condition cars. "Uh, the gas tank ain't hooked up, but I can run the line into a bucket of gas."

My fav - I left a message, then called back and got the owner. He informs me that the engine's a little rough 'coz the hood was left up in the back yard, but the body's the big selling point.
I get there an he's not home but the car is out front. OK besides having been hit in the rear and pass quarter, and the floors roted out so that carpeting was hanging(!) under the car, yes, the hood had been left up. When he pushed the hood down, the hood brackets were so rusted that they just bowed out (as opposed to folding down).
Forget this. I went home. Then the guy calls per my message, not realizing that he already spoke to me. This gave me the perfect opportunity to tell him everything that was wrong with the car (I just hit the high points, I didn't have all day).

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I drove over 900 miles (1800 round trip) to look at a turbo SVO Mustang. The guy had shown me pictures of the car taken many years before when the car was in very good condition. When we got there and saw the current condition of the car, it was worth about half what he was asking.

So we drove over 1800 miles in two days with a trailer and came home empty handed. I've found that most people selling used cars just can't be honest about what they are selling. Seems that selling a car turns ordinary people into idiots or crooks, or both!

·
Registered
757 Posts
What gets me is the " Actual Miles " part. As if the miles make ANY difference in a 37 year old car. What good is 10,000 miles if the car is rusted out?? Most owners claim "I believe the car to be original miles..." I still say it is BS, UNLESS you have documented history and service records back to the original purchase date, not just stories or " I think so's".

Rob

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I went to look at a '67 390 FB project for sale by a dealer in Orlando for $2500. It was so rusty that the interior fell through the floor (seats and all), much of the exterior was rust color and holes. engine was missing...etc. Add said "don't tell your wife what you purchased, needs work." Man, that is the rustiest car I've ever seen in or out of a bone yard! Take 1/2 the resto money and buy one already done!

Good thing I had to stop in Orlando anyway. He did have some other cool Mustangs there though. All overpriced but nice to look at.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts