Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did it today.I took the wife for a ride around the block today.The Mustang now has 10,775.7 miles on it.And it ran so nice.It's going to be hard to not drive it.I've posted more pictures here:http://members14.clubphoto.com/michael609614/842359/owner-7aef.phtml
I also need some help from the 65 experts out there.The build dete on my door plate is May 13.All of the other parts that have dates on them are all June.The left drum has a June 5 65 date,the left front apron sheet metal has a June 13 date and the seats have June 14 tags and the alternator hasa June 65 ink stamp.I haven't found the build sheet yet so I don't know the actual build date of the car.The car was special ordered in late april or early may of 65 and I belive it was delivered in June of 65.Is it or was it possable that there was that long a delay in the time between the stamping of the data plate and the actual build date of the car?

I've looked up under the dash with a flash light and haven't been able to se a build sheet.I can see just about the whole aria so I'm not inclined to start taking it apart yet.I've had the seats out and was able to look unde most of the carpet with out any luck there eather.
As for the Quarter trim; I assume you are talking about the crome scoop pieces.The car has the accent group which I belive deleted the side scoop but added the rocker crome and the pinstripe around the body indentation.

UPDATE on delivery date!!!
I was just going over the paperwork that came with the car.The owners manual owner and vehicle info was filled out on delivery....The date...6/25/65...As the car was special ordered that would make a mid june assembly date likely.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Sounds great.

Take two minutes and a phillips screwdriver and pull back the dash. Many times you will find the build sheet on the wire harness right in front of you. Moisten it down with a damp paper towel. The paper is as brittle as can be.

I know your problem, my engine is 10 days after the build date number. Not the heads or any other related part. I think they missed a digit at the foundry.

Keep the car original. It's made it this far.

Don

·
6,855 Posts
Sounds like a very nice '65 Convertible.

Regarding the scheduled build date, it is my understanding that is all it is. Just an estimation of the date the car would be built. I think that the actual build date could vary somewhat.

Phil

·
6,855 Posts
Sure looks good underneath.

I'm a bit confused on the options. I thought all '65s except GT's got quarter ornaments. And I thought all GT's had foglights. Obviously I don't understand something. Where's Charles Turner when I need him?

A few things I thought were messed up on my '65 turned out to be "features" Things like.

1. A '65 C4 will never shift into low gear unless you use the drive setting next to "L" (Where L2 would be in a regular pattern). The Dot that's next to N only allows the tranny to shift between 2nd and 3rd.

2. The only way to lock the last door is with a key. If you close a door with the pin down, it will unlock itself. The only way to lock your keys in the car, would be to throw them back in through a window once it's locked.

3. The parking lights (in front) go off when you turn on the headlights.

Just a few things you probably already know.

Phil

·
Registered
615 Posts
interesting; my build date was a saturday, January 16, 1965. Never found the build sheet when I restored the convertible. most of the date stamps on the various metal parts where march, april of 64. In fact the motor (200 ci ) which was not in production until September 64 had on all the internal parts march 64 (that was a surprise when we rebuild the motor). I assumed the sub parts would be dated prior to the actual assembly date. This is obviously not the case with your convertible. I am curious what the VIN # is. A friend of mine is trying to establish the date of production for his convertible which he believes is April - May, 1965. P.S. My VIN# is 5F08T600457

1 - 5 of 5 Posts