Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the dumb brake i mean drum brake on the pass. side had a spring fall off so it was draging. Now that i put them together i loosend the rear to asjust them. I know the basics but anyone know any tips on doing it?
BTW being a buzy beaver i did the headlight relays today. it was around 20$ total and a little practice with the soldering iron. Very bright now. Now not as bright as my ranger but its pretty nice.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
First, make sure you have the shoes and springs on correctly. Remember, the short shoe goes towards the front of the vehicle.

When adjusting my read drums, I usually spin the adjusters smaller a few turns, so that the drum will easily slide over the shoes. Then I expand the adjuster a bit, then test fit the drum. When I can start to feel the shoes contact the drum I give it one more click on the adjuster. This usually gets it pretty close. Braking in reverse also will automatically adjust them for you.

·
Registered
786 Posts
"Braking in reverse also will automatically adjust them for you."

But don't forget, you have to go forward and make a stop in each direction. It's the movement of the assembly that tightens/adjusts the brakes. If you don't go forward and backwards, it will only make 1 adjustment.

Tom

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I always adjust the tension so that you can feel the shoes rub the drum just a bit. This will get it close. I then drive the car back and forth. This will allow the brake adjuster to make the final adjustments for the drum. If you listen you should hear the clicking noise as it adjusts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts