Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible - 200 Six - 3 Speed Manual Transmission
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See the attached pictures please. Both sides look the same. I realize these can be welded up and then ground back down but I don't weld or have a welder so I would have to have it done. The groves are not too bad? I'm thinking I may be able to grind them smoother without welding?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I would get new backing plates. They are wear items, even though most people don't consider them to be. The spacing is important, so not only do you need to take the same amount of material off on all six pads, you will also be changing the spacing of the shoes slightly. Not likely to cause an issue if you only remove a little, but the better solution is to get new backing plates.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. I don't think new backing plates are available? This is for a 1967 6 cylinder drum brakes all around Mustang. If I could buy new ones I would for sure. I am now leaning towards taking the backing plates off and taking them somewhere to be welded up and then ground smooth. From reading other posts on here it seems like that gets them to be as good as new?

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I don't think new backing plates are available? This is for a 1967 6 cylinder drum brakes all around Mustang. If I could buy new ones I would for sure. I am now leaning towards taking the backing plates off and taking them somewhere to be welded up and then ground smooth. From reading other posts on here it seems like that gets them to be as good as new?
Having repaired "a few" of those myself, the repair is no better than the welder (him or her) and their abilities or lack thereof.
That said, you may want to take a photo of what you're dealing with to the local welding shop(s) in your area and do some vetting.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm wondering if a mobile welder could do this repair with the backing plates on the car? It doesn't look too difficult to get them off but I would be tempted to avoid taking them off if possible?

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
I'm wondering if a mobile welder could do this repair with the backing plates on the car? It doesn't look too difficult to get them off but I would be tempted to avoid taking them off if possible?
Mobile welders vary in the "stuff" on their truck but a good one may be able to get close to nirvana.
We used to take them off, toss them on the welding table and have at it........ and then I'd take them over to the mill and get all the pads to the same height.
(this was back in the day that you could replace them with brand new, but in an hour I could be reassembling on the car if I wasn't waiting for new backing plates)

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went ahead and pulled off the backing plates. Accept for all of the grease everywhere under the car there it was easy. Hopefully I can find a qualified welder. I had a machine shop press in new studs and stake (swedge) the hub to the new drums. I'm going to see if he is willing to take on this little repair.

·
Registered
40,960 Posts
I went ahead and pulled off the backing plates. Accept for all of the grease everywhere under the car there it was easy. Hopefully I can find a qualified welder. I had a machine shop press in new studs and stake (swedge) the hub to the new drums. I'm going to see if he is willing to take on this little repair.
Run them down to the local high school auto shop and pay them a small amount to have them welded up and ground. You never know... if you ask nicely maybe they'll bead blast them, too so they'll be ready for a nice new coat of paint.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I would get new backing plates. They are wear items, even though most people don't consider them to be. The spacing is important, so not only do you need to take the same amount of material off on all six pads, you will also be changing the spacing of the shoes slightly. Not likely to cause an issue if you only remove a little, but the better solution is to get new backing plates.
Where can one get these backing plates?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Hard to find. I have the ones used for 10x2 brakes and needed a decent set, took about 3 months to find them. Couldn’t tell you how many I threw in the trash back in the 80’s……..

·
Registered
1966 Coupe 289 A/T
178 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you buy the Porterfield brake shoes, they have the Mopar style folded over tabs to locate on those pads instead of the Mustang style bend that causes those grooves. The big wide tabs will likely slide over those grooves like they are not even there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts