Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When converting drum to disc on a '65, would swapping the entire rear end for a late model unit be the easiest and cheapest? Are there some that fit better than others?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
For a 65 you could do the explorer swap. You would have to pull the long axle and put in another short one... but should be a good fit, comes with discs (1999 generation), trac loc, 31 spline axles, and 3.73 gears.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Because the '65-66 cars are narrower than the later years, the late model rears will require some cutting and welding. The housing will need to be shortened and the spring perches need to be relocated to the proper position.

Search the forum for keywords such as 8.8 and explorer. You will find a good amount of information about narrowing, relocating parking brakes cables, etc. Pay attention to whether or not each member has a 65-66 or a later, wider Mustang.

Here are a few posts from an "8.8" search:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/594738-narrowing-8-8-a.html

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/449372-anybody-know-axle-width-1995-up-8-8-mustang-axle.html

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/611420-8-8-rearend-1965-mustang.html

·
Registered
637 Posts
From what I've read the 8.8 Explorer swap is not viable for 65-66 cars. Sure, you can cut down the axles, tubes, etc., or try to find wheels with several inches of backspacing, etc., but by the time you figure it all out and go through the expense it doesn't seem like a logical path. I'd let someone else endure the pain, and if a cheaper way is found and documented, reconsider the 8.8 then.

In the meantime hunt down an old Granada or Versailles rear end, or just buy a rear disc brake kit from one of the mainstream Mustang parts houses.

I assume you are racing...? Discs on the back of a 65 seems more for style points than functionality. I can't imagine it brakes any shorter than a drum car.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
rear discs

Waste of time & $$$$. Not enough weight back there to really be worth it. I guess a lot have been done thinking it would improve stopping, but with the light rear and the way discs grab, you'll slide a lot more than stopping. IMHO!
I like the 10 X 2 1/2 drums Shelby used. My 64 has 68 fronts discs, rear std drums, and stops as quickly as I need. Can't see where rear discs would be better enough to spend what they cost!

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Exactly, I understand that 70% of the braking is on the front so why do the rear disc brake thing unless it's for looks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you really want rear disc brakes I wouldn't swap out the entire rear especially on a 65. I think Baer makes a bolt on caliper kit that may work.

However, I agree with a couple of the guys you really don't need rear disc brakes. I would recommend the big drum brake kit from Master Power Brakes. It really makes a difference in the rear. I recently wrote an article that is in this months Modified Mustangs and Fords Magazine that talks about the swap. The rears are easy to install. I am even thinking about installing an adjustable proportioning valve because I get some rear wheel lock up under hard braking!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Look for Crown Vic Disc swap. I did it and it's pretty simple. I really wish I'd stayed with drums, though. I think a large drum swap would be easier and work just as well, and look better.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the great input guys. Seems that most agree that the rear discs are overkill. Drums it is!

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Drums are fine unless you have a set of wheels that allow you to see the drum.

That is when rear discs shine. They just look 'cool'.

·
Registered
35,866 Posts
Waste of time & $$$$. Not enough weight back there to really be worth it. I guess a lot have been done thinking it would improve stopping, but with the light rear and the way discs grab, you'll slide a lot more than stopping. IMHO!
I like the 10 X 2 1/2 drums Shelby used. My 64 has 68 fronts discs, rear std drums, and stops as quickly as I need. Can't see where rear discs would be better enough to spend what they cost!
I agree. As for looking at ugly drums, cars with factory styled wheels were supposed to have the face of the drum blacked out.

The parts needed to install the 10x2.5 brakes Shelby used (Fairlane station wagon brakes) are available new.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
You can find "big" drum conversions in a lot of junkyard cars, particularly 80's full-size Fords and Mercurys. I got usable 10 x 2.5 drums, backing plates, and hardware for my fastback and paid about $50. With new wheel cylinders and shoes you are good to go. And no parking brake problems, either.

Good luck,
MrFreeze

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Lincoln Versailles rear (9") is a direct swap with discs. That's what I'm using. I do have to agree that the costs aren't worth the difference. But, if the rear is the right price, and you like having a 9", then I wouldn't shy away from the discs.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I imagine if there were any Ford production vehicles around with rear disc brakes at the time the '65 Shelbys were being built, it is highly likely Shelby would have installed them on the Shelby Mustangs. However, there wasn't so they used what was available --larger drums.

In '69, Shelby and other Ford-sponsored Trans-Am race teams installed discs on the rear of the T/A Mustangs. [stock '69 Mustang front calipers/rotors installed on rear --no parking brake feature, but these were track-only cars].

There are plenty of manufacturers of manually-adjustable proportioning valves designed to fine tune the balance between the front brake bias vs. the rears, to keep the rear brakes from locking up before the fronts.

Depending on what rear disc brake system you are considering, it is possible to buy all new rear disc components for about the same money as buying a new set of 10" x 2-1/2" rear drums.

If you don't mind taking the time in sourcing disc brake components from a wrecking yard donor, it is possible to get a rear disc setup for a good bit less than $500.00.

This is a rear disc brake conversion I did in 2004 on a '65 fastback using wrecking yard rear disc components I took off a '96 V6 Mustang. The brake parts were really dirty when I got them, but they cleaned up very nicely. The rotors were well within spec and I put new hoses and pads on. I had about $400.00 into this conversion. It has been working without any problems for 7 years now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts