Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently bought a 1966 Mustang Coupe, and I’m trying to convert the drum brakes to a disc brake, and unfortunately I don’t just have the money to dish out for a kit, has anyone done this their self without a kit, and if so could you please help me or tell me what I’m going to need or do any of you have experience with this?
thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello, I recently bought a 1966 Mustang Coupe, 6 Cylinder, and I’m trying to convert the drum brakes to a disc brake, and unfortunately I don’t just have the money to dish out for a kit, has anyone done this their self without a kit, and if so could you please help me or tell me what I’m going to need or do any of you have experience with this?
thank you!

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,290 Posts
If you don't have the money to convert, then why not just leave the drums. The biggest advantage discs have over drums is heat dissipation, so as long as you're not racing the car you should be fine with drums. Drums can stop the car just as well. Rebuild the drums drive it until you can swing for discs.

·
Registered
37,821 Posts
There was no factory six-cylinder disc brake option so any "solution" involves either pre-fabbed caliper mounts, Chevy S-10 calipers and Toyota brake rotors OR swapping in a complete V8 front suspension to install the factory front disc brakes. In other words, it's either the "Scarebird" kit or trying to cob something. FWIW, your basic six-banger hardtop does just fine with drum brakes, provided they are properly installed and serviced.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,358 Posts
There was no factory six-cylinder disc brake option so any "solution" involves either pre-fabbed caliper mounts, Chevy S-10 calipers and Toyota brake rotors OR swapping in a complete V8 front suspension to install the factory front disc brakes. In other words, it's either the "Scarebird" kit or trying to cob something. FWIW, your basic six-banger hardtop does just fine with drum brakes, provided they are properly installed and serviced.
I bought a four lug disc brake conversion kit for my wife's 65 I6 200 Vert from Summit Racing. I don't know the source of the kit Summit sells but it seems to work fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you don't have the money to convert, then why not just leave the drums. The biggest advantage discs have over drums is heat dissipation, so as long as you're not racing the car you should be fine with drums. Drums can stop the car just as well. Rebuild the drums drive it until you can swing for discs.
Yeah, my dad is just really wanting to get disc brakes, and he told me to research it, and I suggested the conversion kit, and he pretty much refused it saying there’s more than likely a cheaper and easier way to do it. Thank you for the advice though!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I did a lot of swaps when I had my shop, before all of the fancy kits. Mostly did the Granada swaps but the best was the 68 disc swap because it used the small tie rods- no adapters needed; small bearings- you can use styled steel rims- and all the parts needed were stock Ford. 25 years from now, if you need parts, you won't have to worry if that kit company is still around. Mine have been in the 64 since 1992, 400,000+ miles and still stop the car!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I purchased my 66 Mustang with added rear 10" disc brakes from a 1988 Ford Thunderbird 5.0L FI OHV 8cyl. I found out after I had to replace both of the leaky calipers. Found the following link on information on these brakes.

20190121_122042.jpg

20190121_122027.jpg

20190112_092225.jpg

20190112_092416.jpg

·
Registered
1967 Convertible
676 Posts
Yeah, my dad is just really wanting to get disc brakes, and he told me to research it, and I suggested the conversion kit, and he pretty much refused it saying there’s more than likely a cheaper and easier way to do it. Thank you for the advice though!
Tell Dad to do his own research. 65-66 need a lot of parts.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
The cheapest and easiest conversion kit would be the CSRP kit. If he doesn't like that then looks like you're staying with drums.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts