Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the differences between drum spindles and disc spindles. I'm piecing together the front end and got a set from TCP - now I want to get a brake kit and most say they fit the drum spindle - I'm assuming its the market for drum to disc upgrades.
So, how do I tell if the TCP spindles are drum or disc?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Those are '68> disc spindles made to fit the single piston calipers used on those years or possibly Granada's which are similar.

The drum spindles have 4 holes to mount the K/H caliper bracket and don't have the 2 vertical holes 1/2 way out on each end of the spindles pictured.
Drum spindle:

Disc spindle like in your pic with the brake bracket on:

Obviously not interchangeable.
Jon

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jon.
So I could just put a standard replacement kit on if I needed to?
Although I think I may go with either Wilwood or Cobra brakes.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Whats the differences between drum spindles and disc spindles. I'm piecing together the front end and got a set from TCP - now I want to get a brake kit and most say they fit the drum spindle - I'm assuming its the market for drum to disc upgrades.
So, how do I tell if the TCP spindles are drum or disc?
I can't say for sure without measuring these DISC brake spindles, but I think they are the big bearing 70-73 Spindles---Hopefully not the Granada Spindles- One or the other.

The second Picture, Jonk has shown will be the proper caliper bracket for the Mustang Disc Brakes. If it fails to fit, then you have Grandad brakes with the smaller rotors.

In the Repo market, the ID problem is upto to installer, in the factory parts, it is very easy, factory easy.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just done a search and they is a pdf on the TCP site that says they will fit standard discs:

Design/Construction
Spindles are created from alloy-steel forgings, then finish machined for consistent geometry and
mounting positions. The overall design is based on Ford’s proven ‘70-’73 disc brake spindle, known
for it’s stouter, flowing design with minimized stress concentration areas. The later disc brake spindle
style was chosen for its preferable caliper mounting arrangement and large bearing size. In addition
to the strength of the reinforced areas around the caliper mounting bosses, the caliper bracket also
acts as a diagonal brace, triangulating the spindle assembly. We offer aftermarket disc brake systems
to best utilize this mounting configuration.
Installation/Compatibility
The spindle can be used with most compact and intermediate sized 60’s and 70’s Ford/Mercury
vehicles due to common upper and lower balljoint tapers and spindle height. However, the larger
spindle pin, redesigned axle flange, and caliper mounts require brake system upgrades for earlier
vehicles. OEM disc brakes from ‘68-’73, with upright-to-steering arm caliper bracket, can be used.
OEM hubs from ‘68-’69 must change to ‘70-’73 wheel bearings, with larger 1.377” and .865” bore
sizes. The use of ‘70-’73 Mustang outer tie-rods or the TCP bumpsteer kit is required. Six-cylinder
tie-rod adjusting sleeves prior to 1965, measuring .500” OD (1/2-20), must convert to TCP rack and
pinion or OEM V8 steering systems with .688” OD (11/16-18) sleeves.
(See applications chart for specific listings.)

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Yes, if you use the later model '68-'73 single piston style that mount to the 2 arms of the spindle and not the center section where the 4 holes are of the earlier models. I didn't see where you stated what year you're working with. Just be aware that the mounting points are in completely different areas depending on which aftermarket kit you're looking at.
Jon

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I installed a Wilwood front disc brake kit this past weekend. The disc spindles have 3 mounting holes and have to be drilled and tapped, the drum spindles have 4 holes and dont need to be drilled or tapped.

1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,402 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to ask what may be a stupid question, but I've recently purchased a 1965 Mustang Coupe that has had a front brake conversion from drum to power disk brakes. I am now going to add power rack and pinion steering and need to order tie rod ends.

How can I tell if I have Granada spindles?

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Sorry to ask what may be a stupid question, but I've recently purchased a 1965 Mustang Coupe that has had a front brake conversion from drum to power disk brakes. I am now going to add power rack and pinion steering and need to order tie rod ends.

How can I tell if I have Granada spindles?
Measure the rotor, if 11" is is more than likely Granada, if 11 1/4" (More specific 11 19/64") it is a 65-73 Disc Brake system.

Dan @ Chockostang

1 - 11 of 11 Posts