Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is all original and still has the drum brakes in the front and rear. I'm always having issues with wheel brake cylinders leaking or brake parts causing the car to pull in either direction when the brake is applied. I have the original steel styled wheels which are 14X6" and prefer to keep them. I think I want to go with disc up front and also have the dual master cylinder for safety reasons. I don't want power brakes, just the standard. My question is which conversion kits do you recommend? I also looking for the best bang for the buck without using overdraft on my checking account. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Chockostang's OEM-style Kelsey-Hayes 4-piston setup, just like the factory put on in '66.
Definitely go this route. Did mine almost 30 years ago, and they still work great. No, didn't get them from Chockostang, but they are the KH 4 piston discs.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,578 Posts
Yep, the KH 4 piston discs are what you want for a stock disc brake that'll work with 14" wheels. It's what I've got on mine.

For the master cylinder, a 1974 Maverick master cylinder should be plug and play for that combination and will have the right bore size for good pedal effort. You will also need a proportioning valve to plumb inline for the rear brakes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the great info. GT22, you are correct, I stand corrected on wheel size. I like the info on the 74 Maverick Master cylinder. I was also looking at the SSBC kits but they are well over $1K, however include everything needed to complete the conversion. I've also seen some kits on fleabay which do not have the master cylinder or proportioning valve included. Some kits don't even have the pads.. LOL..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts