Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading all I can about the Drum to Disk conversions on the VMF..and can't find answers to some Q's...so here goes!

My Q's all apply to a 64 1/2 Convertible 260 V8

Q: Did the 64 1/2 F Code 260V8 have an option for front disks? I want to upgrade, but have not seen any other similar cars with front disks.
Q: Stainless Steel Brake Corp, and other vendors do offer a single res. master cylinder drum to disk conversion kit. My car already has a single, original (rebuilt). Can I use my existing original MC? IF not, what is the difference between a single res MC for drums, vs. for a disk brake setup?
Q: I don't want one of the adjustable proportioning valves that all these kits offer. Instead, I want a stock distribution block. Do I need to change out my exisiting block for one made for front disks? If so, where can I get one? Does anyone make new ones?

thanks for the help!

best,

Drew

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I can tell you this much if you go from drums to disc, you have to get a disc brake MC, I can't remember exactly, but there is some sort of pressure valve in a drum brake MC that wont work with disc brakes, or maybe it is in the dist block. either way, both of them should be replaced with the disc brake version when you do the switch.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By writing that the OE proportioning valve does this, do you mean that I can use the stock MC? Would this valve come in most brake upgrade kits or can I purchase seperately?

Drew

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hello iDrew:

1) I don't know if 64 1/2 models offered front disk brakes
as an option.
2) You can't use a drum master cylinder with front disk brakes. I guess not safely. I'm not a brake expert, but I think the master cylinder bore size is larger for disk brakes (displace more fluid under higher pressure?). Reservoir is larger too and there may be some internal valving changes too.
3) The proportioning valve is designed to limit pressure to
the rear drum brakes when disks are present up front. Evidently, disk brakes require higher line pressures as they
don't 'self-energize' like drum brakes do. NPD sells a rebuilt distribution block/proportioning valve used in cars originally equipped with disk brakes.

I'm presently installing a SSBC front disk kit in my '66 vert. Expensive but an easy bolt-up out of the box. I will
use the adjustable proportioning valve included in the SSBC
kit. I decided to go with the dual reservoir master cylinder for safety and a booster as well (car originally had power drum brakes).

Good Luck...

·
Registered
680 Posts
I converted my '70 over from 4 wheel standard brakes to disc front and drum rear. I got all the parts from a '72....The '72 had power brakes. I didn't want the power brakes, so I used my stock master cylinder, and used the perportioning valve fron the other car.
If you want to go to disc brakes, you must use the perportioning from a car with disc brakes. The master cylinder doesn't have to be changed. Most people change the single mastercylinder for the duel setup for safety reasons. Iffrnot wheels have a problem, you still have back brakes, and so on ....GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SWAP.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I have a 64 1/2, but I did the disc swap w/ 68 discs. 64 1/.2 did have the disc option. You can go original or the Granada-type swap. Original will cost, as most is either SSB new or expensive rebuilt w/ cores needed. The big ??? is are you showing a Concours car? If so, spend the $$$. If not, the conversion is cheaper and works a lot better. Let me know if you need more info!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help everyone...don't ya just dig VMF??

PonyDoc, this is for a concourse driven car, working towards concourse trailer....though I'm having too much fun with occaisional drives to ever get there! Anyway...by writing "If so, spend the $$$" do you mean SSBC or to find cores and rebuild? I've been to the local Mustang salvage yards here in Phoenix, but can't find suitable rotors, calipers etc. Can I get away with SSB's for a concourse car? Do they offer a single MC that has the fitting for the brakelights as in my current MC for drums? I have some new 14X5 Styled Wheels too that probably knock out the Granada swap. I'd love to save bucks but have a CLEAN stock/ OE type install without add-ins like the adjustable valve or slotted rotors...which would surely knock points off in any shows.

thoughts?

thanks for all the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts