Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on converting to disk brakes, but I need a completely stock appearance for a concours project. I don't want to use the adjustable proportioning valve, yet SSB and NPD have both said it was required. Huh? How can I creat a completely stock/original appearance to a drum to disk install? I also wish to use a single chamber original style MC. Do they make single res. MC's with a mounting hole for the brake light switch for a disk brake setup??

best,

Drew

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I probably should'nt respond because I feel ill qualified. Wouldn't a 65 or 66 GT MC give you the look you need, but still the benefits of a dual reserviour system? I'm going to use the 74 Maverick Dual/MC w manual front disks on my granada swap with the granada prop. valve. The M/C bolts right up to the 65 coupe firewall in place of the old single, from what I've researched. The brake light hookup is attached to that proportioning valve. If SSB recommends the adjustable prop valve, I would stick with it and a dual M/C of some kind in the interest of safety over concours. Then again, that is my .02. Another poster here may have the answer you need.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I found a correct Single Res MC for my car. This is a concours project, so I CAN NOT use an adjustable Proportioning Valve. Question now really is only, where can I find the correct style proportioning valve? and Is this a seperate unit from the distribution block, or is the correct distribution block also a proportioning valve as in later years??

best,

Drew

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
From what I've read here, the proportioning valve is not available as repro or OEM. You'll have to scavage one off of a donor car or from a used parts emporium. There are some folks that overhaul them, however.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
For '65/'66, the distribution block and proportioning valves are two different entities. If you find an add for the SSBC kit it may still show the old style adjustible proportioning valve with a knob on it. This looks very similar to the original prop valve except the original prop valve didn't have the knob.

I think Allen Cross over at http://www.fomoco.com/ may have used original prop valves for sale.

I forgot the '64-1/2 brake light switch is different from the brake pedal attached switch of the '65 and later Mustangs.

Hope you succeed!

Dean T

1 - 6 of 6 Posts