Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well started looking into converting my 68 fb to disk using those from the 70 coupe I have. I pulled my styled steel gt type wheels and just by the hair of my chinny chinny chin do they fit without rubbing the caliper. While there I decided to go ahead and pull the rotor so I can have it mic'd and checked for turning. The old pads looked pretty good with little wear. Maybe they had it done just before parking it. Anyway years of sitting in the weeds have taken their toll on the rubber for the caliper. I will need to either replace these or have them rebuilt. I will also need to replace the brake line just for safety sake. Now, on my 68 the connection faces the front. On the 70 the connection faces the back. Can I when I mount the new brake hose just mount it backwards facing the front thereby saving lots of problems with redoing the brake lines? Also while looking at my 68 I think it would be a good idea to replace the upper and lower ball joints. Mine are so so but its a while I'm at it kinda thing. That job maybe too advanced for me. So I was thinking if I pull the parts and have all the new or rebuilt parts ready why couldn't a shop just do the ball joints and finish off with replacing the spindles with the disk setup and the 70 tie rod ends. If I decided to do that what would be a reasonable price? Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

G

·
food for thought on the ball joints...

rather than wasting the time and effort on pulling the old control arm off, having the ball joints pressed, replacing the bushings, why not just but a rebuilt control arm? I did that and had the whole install - top and bottom on both sides - all done in less than one day. The bushings and ball joints were new and with having all the parts there and no run/wait for the machine shop, it was pretty quick to do: remove shock, compress spring, whack around with the ball joint fork, then bolt all the new stuff on. You get a good deal if you buy a kit that has the control arms, tie rods, spring perches, etc...just an idea for you

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Use the 67 disc hoses. They should come in at the right angle.

G

·
Ok, I may be the shining light of informaion for you!! I put disk stuff off a 70 onto my 67. I even took pictures!!!! The thing to do is to use the 70 hoses with an adaptor and then bend the "u" out of the brake hardline. This will get it facing in the right direction. Email me if you want and I can find some pictures of what it looked like when I was done! Also, I got rebuilt "loaded" calipers from Autozone and new rotors for what seemed like next to nothing. Local cost for those is: rotor $35 loaded caliper $38 (I just called). You will need tie rod ends off the 70, but they will screw right into the steering with no problem. Tie rods dont cost much from what I remember ($13 I think).
[email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts