Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after helping studio pet get his valve covers on, set his timing right, and install a monte carlo bar, we changed in the oil in his 66 and then drain the 65.

There was nothing noticalbe to the nakid eye on a magnet in the oil.

Then we pulled the filter out and I ripped it open.
I pulled out all the paper and took a few wads and stretched them and again there was no notciable glisting on metal and nothing on a magnet.

So now I am stumped.

The problem again was a knocking and oil light at idle but gone as soon as any gas is applied... Read the full problem report here.

So what do I do know :(

I'm half tempted to fill it up with oil and start it up.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Perhaps just the oil pump. I would suggest pulling the oil pan and taking a look around. You could pull a main cap and inspect the condition of the bearing. If ok, try a replacement pump. Relatively inexpensive and would rule that out. Sounds like you don't have a mechanical gauge, a good time to invest in one. 7100 is ALOT of rpm on any motor, expecially as stroker. Might want to observe a 6k redline in the future.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That RPM was just for the dyno.
The motor is built for a 6200-6500 shift, and the dyno says I should shift at 5900

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I'd fill the oil back up and put a mechanical gauge on it, even temporary under the hood and see what its doing.

You could have a bad relief on the pump. If thats the case, you could drop the pan and switch out the pump.

A fresh motor could rap and not be damaged, but you never know what happened when it made the noise until you tear it down

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So hear is the game plan.
Going to install the new pump.
While I am under there, I am going to inspect the rod bearings (one at a time) and inspect for damage.
Now all I need is for my hand to heal and some time to do all this. Than Manugie car show on August 23rd is looking so far away right now :(

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Nick, I was hoping to see the car at the NMRA mustang drags at atco raceway Aug. 9-10. I'll be there with the boss and the vert because the mustang club is putting on a show there on those days.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well....I am hoping to look at it on Saturday...we will see how the hand is....so who knows....thats 2 weeks away...you could also come over and help ;) only 2 hours ::

·
Registered
204 Posts
As others have said, change out the pump. I recently had a pump go bad after only 5000 miles on it. Sort of acted like yours before it went.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I would come and help, except I am knee deep in wiring!!! Literally, I changed the engine in a 1987 mustang LX and had to go into wiring because of the fuel injection and crank trigger ignition on the replacement engine. Now I have the computer harness changed along with the computer and the dash is out and both wiring harnesses are in there so I can remove the plug from the car and replace it with the new harness but there are still some differences. This is the worst nitemare I have gotten myself into in along long time!!!! I am trying to get it finishe so My son can take it home with him the middle of aug. but it doesn't look too promising :( Hope yours is okay, I think probably just a weak oil pump is what your problem is.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Good for you Nick,

Your doing the right thing taking a look under there. I haven't kept up with your build of the Cleveland but they are known to have oiling problems at high RPM. I would pull the rear main cap first and work your way forward.

I hate to say it but your symptoms sure sound like a spun bearing, even though no trash in the filter you might find it there. If you're lucky the crank will be ok and you can just polish it in place and replace.

Then SHIFT it at 5900 like the dyno taught you to! ::

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Nick,

When your motor was built were oil restrictors installed keeping oil on the mains at high RPM? In 1973 (age 18) when I got my first car, a BOSS351, we had the motor built and the builder insisted on that modification. He said they tend to pump too much oil to the top end and starve the main bearings at high speeds. I've been away from Cleveland motors for a long time, perhaps someone with more 'C' knowledge can chime in.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Yeah,..me too.

"Hank the Crank" used to sell a kit that ran a hose from a modified oil filter adapter into the rear of the block and down into the rear main bearing area. Of course, we're talking really high rpm, 7000 and up,..sustained! ::

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The modification I remember was small restrictors resembling carb jets screwed into the block. Nick said he spun that thing to 7100, again ALOT of RPM for a Cleveland, especially a 410 stroker. Way high on the piston speed. We'll keep our fingers crossed on a faulty oil pump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts