Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I shared that I bit the bullet and dropped the 351c block off at the machine shop to get a complete going through and check out.

Today I escalation my commitment. I dropped the Heads off for a new valve install estimate. I also asked them figure out what my total compression will be. There has been some debate about whether or not I have 10.5:1. Some venues belive based on looking at my pistons I have 12:1 (which would be wierd since my HP was low) and others have said it looks lower....so I will have a true number. I also asked them to figure out how much total clearance I have to the piston so we can figure out how much lift I can run without andy interferance problems should I ever overrev accidentally. I imagine that I just took my under $500 machine shop bill and bumped it over $1000 for sure, but, 1. Getting rid of the stock 4 groove valves is a good idea. 2. Knowing the true compression is pretty important and 3. IF I do cam change it would be nice to know exactly what specs I can run wihout any problems.

I still can't afford it though, and have dipped into the Vacation fund for October when we are going to the big easy 'shhhhh' hopefully I will be able to replenish it before anyone notices ;)

·
Registered
499 Posts
have dipped into the Vacation fund for October when we are going to the big easy 'shhhhh' hopefully I will be able to replenish it before anyone notices
you're a baddddddd man!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Good deal. Might want to ask the shop what some mild headwork might cost to go along with the new cam. Perhaps they'll give you a break with the other work being done. You can try this method of SWMBO justification: 'Honey, it's much more cost effective to get it all done (correctly) at one time, and the more money I save on the total project is more money I can spend on you'.

Also, remember, it's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission...

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Way to go. Keep going...

·
Registered
21,267 Posts
Nick, I think I found that company I was talking about. It's "Motor Machine & Supply co." , 1401 West Glen, Tuscon 85705, pn# 1-520-792-1156.

Tell them your specs, and they'll pick the right grind for you. Cost is $40.00.

I'll tell you from what little checking compression ratios I did on a 289 that I have. It's real easy to be a full point off or more either way just by assuming! I love it when people say that just because you have flat top pistons with 55 cc heads on a 289, you have 10:1 compression. Some of these flat top pistons have valve reliefs that volumes displace as much as C code pistons! Deck height, pin height, head gasket crush volume add a lot of variables. Bottom line, there's only one way to know how much compression you have...measure!

Good luck and hope the missus doesn't read the forum! :eek:

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Naw, I already talked to the Mrs about it. She knows I wouldn't pull that money unless I knew I would be able to replace prior to vacation. So there is no real issue there. :)

Thanks for the info for the cam choice too :)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Nick, you are doing the safe thing by changing out the valves... good luck with the rest of it. You ought to pick up plenty of power with all 8 cylinders pumping!

Doug

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yeah, but it's on a 300bps dialup connection. ;)

Acoustically coupled, no less.
I knew I was saving those things for something..

Just Call me Hells IT department ::

·
Registered
971 Posts
Well I for one have no intention of joining you all!
I can watch you from the balcony above ! ::

·
Registered
310 Posts
We all float down here.. You Can Float Too.. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts