1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called the local to me machine shop for some cost estimates this morning:
Degrease - $45
Dissamble - $65
If the are doing reassembly, total for tear and rebuild $100 labor.
They will measure everything
If the crank needs to be ground - $85
If the rods need any work - $13.50 each
Then just the cost for parts...new cam bearings, freeze plugs, rod bearings, main bearings, and rings.

So if everything is ok with the motor, it will prob be $300-400...if something is wrong....a little more.

So I just got back from dropping it off. They didn't promise, but they said they would try to get it ready for a Saturday AM pickup.

·
Registered
310 Posts
So does that mean sunday will be an installation party?? With Midlife? isnt that asking for trouble?

AJ

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure, most likely it won't be done.
But if it is, we might just do the full assembly.
Or we might do the assembly and installation.

I don't think I am going to bother with the total installation until the new radiator shows up.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Good deal Nick, money well spent. Since they will have the cam out, might as well....... ;)

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have the money for a cam swap right now.
The car has already almost broke the back and this little prob eats up just about every last penny of emergancy cash :(

I will decide on a cam change in the winter.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Is the machine shop going to make an allowance for any machining problems they find? I mean, if they screwed up, shouldnt they fix it?

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CV - I will never ever again go to the machine shop that I had problems with. This is a new, local machine shop attached to a parts store that I have had nothing but success with for 16 months straight. They always either have what I need in stock or get it in 1 day, always been right, they know me by name, and they have done everything good for me so far.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Yessss! I can hope for a ride on Sunday or Monday morning! Yesssss!

If you're truly hard up for money, I can loan ya some. How's that for climbing out of the Curse of Midlife hole?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yes...a ride in DT! Perhaps some 7K passes and try out that new oil pressure guage! Oh and make sure you don't get that dizzy gear teeth off. ;) John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts