Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short version: can anyone point me to a dual-groove 4-inch "hipo" or "Shelby" alternator pulley?

I have a 3-groove crank and 2-groove water pump pulleys. The grooves for the power steering pump will probably never be used again; the big 3rd groove will eventually drive the reinstalled AC compressor. I don't really want to swap down to fewer-groove pulleys, so my options are:

1) Use a dual-groove 2-3/4 inch (or whatever) standard size alternator pulley, and run two belts for that kewl, extra-duty look.

2) Run a single 4-inch pulley for the underdrive advantages, but leave an empty belt groove on two pulleys.

What I want is 1+2=3, a dual 4-inch pulley. Anyone?

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
I was gonna say, just put 2 on back-to-back. Yeah, then I thought: If the shaft isn't longer how will the nut go on?
So, you might need to attach them together on the back side, then open the center of the outer one. OR, you might have to have a machine shop make what you want out of a chunk of billet.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you might have to have a machine shop make what you want out of a chunk of billet.
Thought of that, but I'm not sure it's worth the cost.

Of my choices, I think I'd rather have the underdrive (it's a 135A alternator, so I'm unlikely to have any power shortages) than the dual belts, but I'll keep looking and/or fire up the CAD program... :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts