Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new rear axle brake hose for dual exhaust to replace the single exhaust hose. Is the single vent bolt threaded far enough that I can just cut it down?

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
IIRC, the bolt is threaded, but smooth inside the brake hose steel body. I think I had to dig in my drawer and find a different one when I just swapped out my rear on my '66...

·
Registered
21,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might just have to bend an extra washer same contour as the axle tube. I wish I had taken a picture before I installed mine just for comparison. Virginia Mustang has some good pics.

View attachment 746729

View attachment 746730
I was looking in the NPD catalog. My impression is pretty much the same. I was thinking I could cut my old bolt down with a couple extra washer or use a piece of tubing as a spacer.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I may have gotten an extra by mistake. Let me check and you can have it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yup I have one still wrapped. I order two by mistake and not worth the shipping to send it back. It's yours if you want it.

Reactions: kenash

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
I ordered a new rear axle brake hose for dual exhaust to replace the single exhaust hose. Is the single vent bolt threaded far enough that I can just cut it down?
No. For a long time only the long single exhaust bolt was available from Ford. I had to fully thread them and cut them down for the short version. Now, as you can see, they are reproduced.

·
Registered
21,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No. For a long time only the long single exhaust bolt was available from Ford. I had to fully thread them and cut them down for the short version. Now, as you can see, they are reproduced.
Thanks for that. I see the repro single exhaust bolt by AMK is fully threaded. My thought is the same bolt is used but cut down for dual exhaust. I can't see the original factory being fully threaded however. If not I'll thread and cut it or take ophthos's offer. I'll see how it goes this weekend. I was thinking of ordering the dual bolt for $9.95 but I choked at the $9.00 shipping

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Tom,

If you're still in the same place I sent the leaf springs, I'll throw the vent tube in the mail tomorrow. Otherwise PM me your address

1 - 11 of 11 Posts