Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else running one of these? I installed one today and I'm fairly impressed, the idle is noticably smoother. After I changed the cam, heads, intake and carb I was having hard time finding a pcv valve that would work well with my application, this seems to fit the bill. www.mewagner.com

Matt

Attachments

· Registered
4,390 Posts
I haven't purchased one yet but I intend to, I think it will help with the tuning of my EFI, the original equipment one is a compromise at best once one has made changes to the engine, especially camshaft. Keep us posted on how it works out for you, did you tune it yet or just install it as it arrived?

· Premium Member
15,528 Posts
I've used one. Had trouble with the regular PCV valve with the Weber carbs due to very low vacuum signal. The Wagner guys even made a custom job for me to suit my application.

After a while you will forget how pricey it is.

Z

· Registered
980 Posts
What does it do exactly?

· Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Their website describes it alot better, basically it's a pcv valve that you can tune to your engine. The stock pcv valves are for a stock engine, once you add a cam, intake, headers, etc., It might not be correctly calibrated to your engine. This can be fine tuned.

Matt

· Premium Member
15,528 Posts
Plus it's a dual range valve. One setting for idle rpm, and another circuit for cruising .

PCV scavenger systems have limitations, but the Wagner valve minimizes those limitations.

Z

· Registered
181 Posts
I might order too that Dual PCV valve, even if I have Moroso oil catch can. Only thing I have to modify is Edelbrock valve covers stock baffle, I need to get bigger gap between PCV valve and baffle. 3/4" would be good gap, now I have like 1/4".

· Registered
1,377 Posts
Would this be helpful for smoothing out an idle due to a larger cam and providing vacuum for brakes?

· Registered
4,390 Posts
Would this be helpful for smoothing out an idle due to a larger cam and providing vacuum for brakes?

This valve will not "improve" or alter in any way the vacuum the engine produces, that is an effect of your camshaft, intake, carbs) and exhaust system. This valve allows you to tailor it's performance to the characteristics of your cam and intake system. Something Ford engineers spent a great deal of time when they were designing the engine. Aftermarket PVC valves are a close approximation OE valve, the engineering specs for PCV valves has a great deal of information.

· Registered
403 Posts
I got one few years ago. I was having trouble with rough idle and was getting a lot of oil consumption through my PCV. Tried few different PCVs which were supposed be for lower vacuum engines, made no noticeable difference. Read some good reviews on this adjustable PCV, it is pricey, but after going through the setup process and dialing it in for engine (easy to do), it fixed my issues and I was happy I got it.

· Registered
1,134 Posts
So does this put a cap on the amount of vacuum the PCV valve see's? I read how it's supposed to help, just not understanding what it really does.

· Registered
1,495 Posts
T.E.T. for the best explanation go to their web site.

In a nut shell with a performance cam idle vacuum is lower than the commonly available PCV valves,so the valve remains or is very close to closed,so the engine cant vent properly.

At cruise that same valve is mostly wide open so blow by is sucked in pretty much unabated.

At WOT it's closed and blow by vents out the open vent,mine has a hose to the air cleaner.

The dual flow is adjustable to vent at both idle and cruise and still close at wot.

· Registered
1,377 Posts
I just installed this the other night. Super easy/quick and works as advertised. I recommend it if you have anything that has changed the stock characteristics of your engine.

Reactions: 66whitepony

· Registered
270 Posts
I was getting some oil around PCV grommet after installing a freshly built high performance engine. Tried a couple types and had same issue. Installed one of these and all has been well now for a couple years. Have them on 2 cars now and observed a smoother/better operating PCV system on each. For me, knowing it's functioning properly made the added cost well worth it. When you see the quality craftsmanship, that also makes you realize that you get what you pay for.

· Registered
37,624 Posts
I like the adjustability, but it's a little odd to claim dual range or dual flow. OEM PCV valves feature a spring-loaded valve with infinite self-adjustment. The problem with that is it needs to match the operating vacuum range of the engine, so on a modified engine you'd have to keep swapping valves until you had one that's right.

· Premium Member
481 Posts
Running perf cams, heads, induction sys etc and talking from a performance perspective using a pcv valve IMO just puts incendesnt gases and oil misting in the induction system resulting in burned crap on top of pistons. It doesn't do your engine any favors. A "Krank Vent" type of system will work way better. With stock stuff its just not worth bother but with the expense of a nice build I wouldn't use a pcv.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.