Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled the motor on the 65 and Im thinking this would be a good time to add the security of a dual master. I currently have the stock power booster and single master. Im not interested in changing over to discs. What would you recommend for parts?

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Do you have a manual transmission with a mechanical clutch linkage? If so, your job is a little harder.

If not, any booster/dual bowl MC setup listed for 4 wheel drums on the Mustang sites will be just fine. If you do have the added complication of a mechanical clutch linkage, I have found only one setup to work (for my car). In your case, the NPD part number would be 2005-20DB. The master cylinder that comes with that setup is pretty small and is the only dual bowl that I've found that fits behind the shock towers without having to notch or entirely remove the factory export brace. Clears my factory export brace by about 1/4" - and yes, I do have the beefy Scott Drake export brace installed on top of that to keep the shock towers from collapsing inwards.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
There is no dual master i'm aware of that will fit the stock 64-66 booster. So, if adding a power dual bowl setup, you will need to replace the entire setup.

Kelly has so good advice about Automatic, vs standard shift when coosing a booster.

Another concern will be if the new dual bowl master has built in residual valves for the drum/drum brakes. Check with the supplier if the residuals are present in the master, or if you need to add the 10 # rersiduals in line. 2# won't be enough.

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Ok, so any booster/MC combo for auto trans with drum brakes will work. Easy peasy to find a setup that works for autos!

Here's one

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Im hoping to find a complete kit with lines, distribution block and instructions. Most of the setups Ive found are for disc/drums and all parts are not included. Any complete kits recommended?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts