Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5.0 66 f/b is now running but I need to complete some pluming. I have disk front and drum back. I purchased a 74 Maverick M/C for manual brakes via feedback from this form but the fittings are not the correct size. Did I get the wrong M/C or do I need to redo my hard lines?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
you will probably have to make new lines to your dist. block, i put in 4 wheel disc with an `86 Must SVO mast cyl. there was one very unusual thread that my local NAPA dealer was able to adapt to the thread on the line i had. maybe you can get an adapter?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct, the 74 Maverick M/C is for disk front/drum rear. The problem is that the fittings in the hard line are a different size that the Maverick M/C. I thought this was a common swap, did I goof?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Sorry, I misread your post, I was thinking you had a front drum/rear drum master cylinder. It sounds like you have the correct MC.

The front bowl/rear drum brake port uses a larger fitting on all of the dual reservoir master cylinders I've seen. Here is a picture of the drum/drum MC from my '67 coupe, notice the size of the fitting on the front port. My '66 dual master cylinder Stainless Steel Brake system looks essentially the same. I don't know the exact size of these fittings, but I'm sure you can find an adapter at Napa. If you make up your own lines be conscious of the line size as well as the fitting size, I once bought lines with the correct fitting, but wrong I/D and they leaked horribly.

Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts