Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone can help me with my problem.
I have a 66 convertible, factory power brakes. I want to upgrade to a safer braking system (split up the front and rear) and go with a dual piston master cylinder.

I was looking in the Paddock's catalog and see that they offer a disc brake conversion kit that comes with a master cylinder, single resivor but dual line output (for front aned rear). I do not want to change over to disc brakes, I just want the master cylinder. I would rather replace the master cylinder alone and split up my brake system then to replace the booster and master cylinder. Anyone know where i can get one of these master cylinders? or have any other options for me other than replacing my rebuilt booster with a skinnier booster?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
487 Posts
If I understand some of the recent posts on this matter, it seems that you can install a 67 split reservoir MC in a 65-66 car with little problem.

I gather that you need the piece that allows for front to rear pressure adjustment, as well as the additional lines involved. What I'm not sure of is if this set-up would clear the shock tower bracing, but that could be addressed with some "creative fabricating" I suppose.

Maybe someone who has actually tried this on the site?

Hmmmm, Guess I am a little "strange" so the stranger thing might well fit...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Kelly on 03/05/01 07:55 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are talking a proportional valve for disc brakes. I am sticking with drums on all 4 wheels..No need for a prop valve here... Looking at my car it appears it will be strictly a clearance issue between the master cylinder cap and the brace between the cowl/shock tower. I am looking to find a master cylinder that will bolt onto my stock 66 booster and give me a split system.

·
Registered
487 Posts
OK, I think that the 67 MC will do the job....But, the clearance issue is going to be your major stumbling block. I have seen something in one of the Mustang mags in the last year or so that addressed this issue though. Apparently there is someone making a piece that alter the location enought that the later model MC will clear the bracing. Do I know who makes it, or when the article was printed? Not even..

I'm wondering if you couldn't remove the bracing just to install the dual res MC and then do some fabricating on the brace. Something along the lines of "really big hammer" wielded in the right spot?

Hmmmm, Guess I am a little "strange" so the stranger thing might well fit...

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I'm thinking the same thing with my 66. I was at a show last saturday where I saw two 65/66 Stangs with 67 dual-res MC's. These had equal size reservoirs for drum/drum systems. In both cases, the owners said installation was a snap, they just bolted right in and only some new brake line manipulation was required. I'm also told these MC's can be gotten dirt cheap at any auto parts store. However, a VMFer said the 67 distribution block (not proportioning valve) was needed, and this may be a little more difficult to find.

Hey, I've got an idea! Why don't you go through all the trial and error of making this work, let us know all the tricks, then I'll do mine!

DanM

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Get the '67 drum/drum MC. Then you need to run the rear line of the '67 MC directly to the rear line (bypass the distribution block) and buy plugs for your original distribution block to close off the old rear in/out.

It's cake!

·
Registered
408 Posts
You can easily use the 67 drum MC. But...using it with your original 66 booster will not clear the shock tower. A "Mini-booster" is available (from NPD) that will work with the dual MC and still clear the shock tower. You do not need a proportioning valve but a distribution block is needed. Other than plugging and re-routing yours, you can use a 65-66 disc brake distribution block (3 holes for fronts, route the rear directly to the rear line.) Or for more money you can opt for a combination valve. This is a combo of a distribution block and prop valve tuned for drum brakes. It is similar to a mid '70's Ford part and has the needed fittings and adds a brake warning switch.

National Parts Depot
1965 Conv:Street driven concours
1966 Coupe: Daily driver and toy

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scott, I called NPD here in michigan and talked to someone who did not know a whole heck of a lot about brakes.
What part numbers will I need (i have an automatic trans)
Also, I need a part number for the replacement distribution block. I guess I will have to bend the lines needed to tie into my existing lines. I wanted to replace everything with stainless lines but want them pre-bent to fit the new booster/master cylinder. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Good help is hard to find...
We have a bunch of boosters and booster kits right now and I'm trying to re-write the catalog entries to make them understandable.
I have a booster (2005-10A) for $249.95, the dual MC is (2140-4A) $69.95 for disc and (2140-3A) $57.95 for drum. You'll also need a manifold fitting and hose (2A047-1A) $12.95.
You will have to bend your own lines. With all the possible combinations of boosters, MC's, combo valves and prop valves, I can't even begin to think about prebent lines for all of them. Maybe someday.
If you have drums all around you can block off one port of your distribution block and route the rear lines directly. The dist. block will have a MC front in and two out to the front brakes.
Hope this helps. Contact me direct if you need more info.
Scott
800-521-6104
[email protected]

National Parts Depot
1965 Conv:Street driven concours
1966 Coupe: Daily driver and toy

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK!!! It's done!! Here is what had to happen

Thanks to Scott and everyone here I got some good info.
I got a new booster from NPD here in Michigan yesterday.
Also picked up a master cylinder at my local auto parts store for a 67 power drum car.
Simple installation just 4 bolts and the pedal assy - I am working on bending up some new lines tonight and will have it done so that this weekend I can drop that fresh 289 back in and have some fun.
Total cost for the conversion was about $275.00.
This is a small price to pay the safety of me and my pony!
Thanks for all of your help -

·
Registered
712 Posts
Scott,

Is this still the best solution from NPD to upgrade a
1966 289 2v, automatic, factory power drums, single MC to double MC?

I work about 15 min from MI NPD and have shopped there often in the past three weeks since I purchased my car.

And like the other VMF'er 66shawn I called and talked to two different NPD guys over the phone and could not get much assistance other than yes we carry this.

Any and all assistance is appreciated.

God Bless!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts