Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Wimbledon White 2+2, C-code, Auto
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a master cylinder for a 67 Mustang with manual drum brakes have a clip on lid, or do they all bolt down? The part I have clips on and I suspect it may be incorrect for this application and the cause of my problems.

I'm using this on my 65 (4 wheel drum) along with an adjustable push rod, replacing the original power setup.

The pedal travels to the floor before the brakes will begin to engage. The master was bench bled three or four times. The brakes were also bled multiple times - both with a mighty vac as well as with the help of a friend. There are no leaks in the system and I get no air bubbles.

I plan to replace the m/c anyway, thinking it may be defective. Some sources have shown a picture of a screw on lid, leading me to question if I even have the right part.

·
Registered
48 Posts
+1 on getting the answer my 68 has dual res with clip lid with all drum brakes with little pressure in the pedal regardless of bleeding and adjusting.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
The clip-on lid is correct for '67. Do you have the correct length pushrod? You should use a pushrod that's the same length as the stock one you took out of your '65.

Frank

·
Registered
9,230 Posts
A clip on cover, dual reservoir master is fine for your car. If it was a 67/68
part, it would be a 1" bore which would really be great.
It could be bypassing or just be a messed up part. (even if it were brand
new) I've seen several right out of the box that were NO GOOD.
If your brakes are truly bled, the master probably is the problem.

You can check the bleed. Get a helper and pop the cover off the mc.
Have your helper pump the brake pedal 3-4 times. The 4th time have
them hold the pedal down. While you're watching the fluid in the mc,
have your helper slide their foot sideways of the pedal, letting it
spring back up toward the dashboard. If you get a brake fluid geyser
in the master cylinder, there is air in the system. Anything over a
slight ripple is too much.
Obviously watch your eyes and protect any nearby paint......

·
Registered
1965 Wimbledon White 2+2, C-code, Auto
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I'll start with another master cylinder as I had planned - from a different parts store this time.

(I went to get a replacement part from O'Reilly & they pulled a part from the box that was so badly pitted it still had crud caked on it, even after being reman'd -- there was obviously no regard for quality) Not exactly confidence inspiring. I'll try NAPA this time around.

Push rod length is a tough question. The booster setup I had used a bell crank system & if I remember right, there were two push rods. One from the brake pedal to the bell crank and another from there to the master cyl. This is why I went with the adjustable push rod.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts