Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the Marti Report on my 70 Mach 1, it was built on 9/25/69, released on 9/26/69 but did not "sell" until 9/12/70 - nearly a year later to McCoy and Mills Ford in Fullerton CA.

A little more background; it was a "California" spec Mach built in Dearborn and from what I understand, at the time Dearborn was "helping" the San Jose plant keep up with demand on these cars. So why would they just build a car this early in the model year that didn't sell for a year? I've looked at numerous Marti Reports on cars for sale on Ebay and have never seen another situation like this.

Was it just an unwanted orphan for a year or did Ford do something else with these cars during this time? And where would it have sat during this time. ::

I'm expecting wise cracks from some of the local VMF guys I hang with, but I'm sure someone out there has a good idea of what might have happend.

Thanks in advance for your help and feedback!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Maybe a demo car? Maybe the showroom didnt have any others like that and the owner of the dealership put it up on display in the showroom until the next model year and then sold it. Only thing I could think of.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Showroom floor sounds like a possible aanswer or maybe the dealer was going to keep it for himself and had it out of sight... If only the old stangs were built with little black boxes for retreiving its history...

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I think he is saying the car didnt get to the dealership until 9/70. The car seems to have sat at Fords manufacturing lot until the dealership ordered it, almost a year after being built. That is a wierd thing for it to have sat for a year before ending up at a dealership. Maybe it was a Ford rep car or something.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It is my understanding that the San Jose plant stopped building mach 1's in late July / early August and I am told my car was among the last few. It may have something to do with that?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is strange. I guess I don't know what the "sold" date means. I'm not sure if that means when Ford sold it to a dealership or when the dealership sold it to a customer.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Fords sells car to dealers, dealers sell cars to customers. Ford records only cover the Ford transactions, so the "sold" date refers to selling the car to the dealer.

In today's world cars can't be used before being sold (by Ford) to dealers as new cars. In the old days I'm not sure what the rules were.

John Harvey

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
possible it was a press car. or a ford execs demo, the ford execs didn't have to buy the car to drive but normally it would have had a different DSO. show car or press car is all i can think of. maybe some sort of test mule or something but that seems kind of unlikely. i just can't see the car being built in dearborn and shipped to san jose just to sit at the san jose lot for a year.

maybe Kevin Marti himself would have an idea,he may have run across this type of thing before and already figured out the answers. try shooting him an email, couldn't hurt anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts