Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is probably a dumb question, but what the heck, I need an answer to it before proceeding. I have one of Whizco's plastic repro trapdoors with the built-in speaker pods for my fastback. Today, I cut out the openings for the speakers, and also small openings in the trunk side so the speakers would fit. I'll be covering the trunk side with padding and carpeting, so those openings aren't a problem.

So here's the dumb question: is there any advantage to putting a thin sound insulation, like B-Quiet, inside the speaker pods? The plastic is thin, and I'm wondering if that would help with sound quality, excessive vibrations, or anything else. I have 6x9, 350 watt Pioneer speakers going in the pods.

·
Registered
471 Posts
:DYea if you like quality sound it will help it will also push the sound forward instead of into the trunk area, it may also help with vibrations but as I am not there to see how the fit is can't be to sure on that. ::

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anything that will rock my world and will be heard over the 390. :: Credence, Lynard Skynard, Doobie Brothers, Toby Keith, Charlie Daniels, Alan Jackson, Gretchen Wilson, etc., etc.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I had thought about building cardboard dams around the speakers, and then filling the remaining voids in the trap door with expanding foam. I haven't done this yet but went ahead and assembled the speakers and trapdoor, and the installed it in the car. If there's any noise problems, I'll go ahead with my foam plans.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I thought about the foam idea then changed my mind because if I ever had a problem it would be a mess to work with. Hey L if your going to play that kind of music your going to have to TURN IT UP!!!! my kind of music I wanna hear it all the way in WA state. LOL. :D :: ::

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Toby Keith? Redneck patriatism-ripper-offer Toby Keith? ;)

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't go there. If you can't offer any constructive advice to the questions posed, why bother responding to posts?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I hope you were not refering to me I thought I was trying to be cute sorry if it was offensive. ::

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Nah, she wasn't talking to you.

·
Registered
471 Posts
have to be careful at my age you never know what offends some people so if something is said I take the blame unless that person that was offended tells me otherwise. ::

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh no, I wasn't replying to you! I'll be glad to crank up the system so you can hear the tunes in Washington. ::

·
Registered
471 Posts
thanks for the reply i'll be listening and when i here them i'll let you know and my bird will boogey too !!!! ::

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:: :: ::

K

·
0 Posts
Laurie, another consideration is how tightly the trap door is closed. Although on originals (not sure about your repro) the lock creates some compression you may need a rubber gasket material along the edges of the door. This to cut down on the vibration of the door against the interior panels either from driving (engine/road) or audio concerns.
Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Leave to some lib from CA to bash TK, although the libs are kinda quite face to face. They all get kinda quite when it comes time to throw down. They hids behind thier little posts and attack those they don't know.

God I love America!

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
yes, some liberal from california... yes... Yet everbody who knows me at my school says im to conservative.

What the hell do you mean by throwdown? I'll say what i said to your face if you want. I wouldn't punch you though, because that is stupid.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Might I suggest you leave politics out of the forum? Even in retaliation? Thank you.

·
Registered
293 Posts
can i add another dumb question? is there supposed to be any insulation or weatherstriping around the trap door? mine has a huge gap and i am afraid i am getting some exhaust in through the cracks. i have the original trap door that was cut for the speakers. thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts