Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to clean up the aluminum slotted mags I bought which have a lot of "scale" and small pepper grain sized black specks, then shine them up.

Ok, I did the search....here's what I found:

Start with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper and keep wet sanding with progressively finer grits, finally ending up with about 2000 grit. Then, with a small dremel size rotary buffer, buff them out with mothers aluminum polish. The mirror like finish is impressive!

This seems like a lot of work! (there is no substitute for lots of elbow grease and I'm lazy) Sooo, I thought about taking the scale off with 400 and 600 grit, which I practiced with on a test wheel. A co-worker also suggested an SOS type scrubber/cleaner you can get at Walmart to accomplish the fine sanding portion of the job. Then polish with mothers.

Is there a quick and dirty solution to getting a great shine on those scaly and oxidized wheels, or lots and lots of elbow grease? BTW they are off the tires and are easy to work with.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
A friend just did what you are wanting to do. He used scuff pads & Mother's Polish. He had some old ET slots that had tarnshed. They look very good now! He tried several different brands of polish, Never-Dull was suppose to be the best he was told, but he liked Mother's best.
Get out the elbow-grease /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Cruzer,

Went to Walley World and got some supplies. Tommorrow I'll work on those rims. Gonna be a lot of work...../forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
0 Posts
All I have used is mothers!! I have polished each wheel by hand around 30 times each and they finally look great!! THey were pretty sad when I started and I probably could have saved some time using sand paper....but Mothers will take everthing short of dents out with time!!! Every time you put it on and take it off, they look better.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow you sure have a shine on those wheels!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif And I love your car. I wish my 65 coupe was in that stage of completion. Hopefully in a couple of years..... Slotted mags certainly look nice on those coupes though. In a couple of weeks, the suspension, steering, and brakes will be back on mine and it will start resembling yours. Right now mine is a "shell-by" mustang, heehehe. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Hi dan If you have a truck stop anywhere close there will be a polish guy arround and they work CHEAP,, I brought one set back and it took a few days but for 20 dollars a wheel I could have had a better job,,, and I have from that point on

·
Administrator
19,317 Posts
I'd avoid the rougher sandpaper if at all possible. I've had to use it on particularly rough stuff and it takes forever to get all all the sanding scratches out. If you can, use some kind of buffer. Let the motor do most of the work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts