Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uhhhh... I feel really silly asking this question, but I've been gathering info on my impending 5.0 EFI swap and AN (or A/N) fittings on the fuel lines keep cropping up and I sort of gloss over them, not really knowing what they are. Can someone clue me in, and discuss why (or why not) they may be recommended for fuel lines in an EFI application?

Pictures are always nice... :)

Thanks in advance...

E

·
Registered
1,425 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. This makes sense if someone was running braided fuel lines on their set-up and explains the references I kept running into.

E

K

·
0 Posts
Well I found the AeroQuip catalog of fittings.
AeroQuip Cat

Still looking for the defintion of AN....I thnik it has something to do with a standard set by the Navy...not sure.

As stated these fittings are for use in braided lines such as fuel. I have them from my fuel pump to carb.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
If you are building a higher HP motor, you will need to get bigger fuel rails than the stock whimpy ones. And, the AN fittings will be necessary. http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/164000-164999/164962_169_full.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like to think of AN fittings as "AN expensive" part!

They are nice fittings and seal up tight with no leaks but they are expensive. Thankfully they started making other colors besides the blue and red ones now...

·
Registered
863 Posts
I think it means Army/Navy, it was supposed to simplfy interchangability of fittings between the sister services equipment.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think it means Army/Navy, it was supposed to simplfy interchangability of fittings between the sister services equipment.
Yes sir-e-bob...

From the Acronym Web Site: "AN: Army Navy (hydraulic or pneumatic fitting used in the aerospace industry)" :highfive:

They are a little off with the aerospace industry though...

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
i work in the aerospace industry everyday and we do use an fittings all the time. i work on the learjet model 45. we also use ms fittings.

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
The AN fittings are basically pre-made flare fittings. They screw together and have matching angles cut in them. They are much less prone to leaks than hand-made flares. They also cost a BUNCH more :p

When you are talking about stainless tubing you are limited to a single flare, which is prone to leaking.

The cold-steel tubing can take the double-flare, but is more prone to rust and breakage than the stainless.

The AN stuff can be had to fit regular rubber hose, steel hard-lines, stainless braid, other braid types and pipe thread. It's very flexible in that you can get fittings to do just about anything, but the pieces cost a lot and the prices add up quickly. They do look sexy though.

The thing about EFI setups is that they run much higher pressures than carbureted engines, so the fuel lines have to be better to keep from leaking.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Yes sir-e-bob...

From the Acronym Web Site: "AN: Army Navy (hydraulic or pneumatic fitting used in the aerospace industry)" :highfive:

They are a little off with the aerospace industry though...
Not at all. AN hardware is used extensively in both aircraft and aerospace industries (along with the obvious widespread military applications), as well as diversifying sizes and types of items for commercial availability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts