Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, When I bought my car It was complete with all trim, emblems and knobs etc... execpt for the Cigarette lighter assembly. Is it worth 30 dollars to buy a Original unit from someone that is parting out a 65 (Bezel, Knob,Element,Retainer and Socket). or just get them from SO-Cal that has all of it for a total of 12 dollars plus shipping. (reproduction). How far should someone take concourse correctness ? Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks MidnightMustang

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well, if you are going to go orginal don't skimp on a $30 part. Not sure of the judges though. Just my $.02

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Unless you're in the Thoroughbred class (and maybe not even then), the judges won't open the ashtray to look at the assembly. I have the repro for Trouble and it really doesn't look that different from the original in my coupe, as far as I remember.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Question is; Are you going to show the car as "Concorse"? If so, spend the money. If not go repop. No one but you and the judges will know ::

·
Registered
288 Posts
The repo's are fine, acceptable for concourse class, and far more reliable than a 38 year old used part. The only reason to get an original cigarette lighter would be for thoroughbred class, and then you would want to find an NOS unit anyway.

G

·
0 Posts
Go for the cheap knock off, unless you are going to get serious about showing you car, no one but yourself is going to notice the differance in 80 % of such parts like that.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
The socket and retainer is available through Ford. It has an 80 something part. Went and got the bag. It is EOVY-15055-A Socket+Retainer. It was purchased for the princely sum of $5.00. As for the rest of it, certainly wouldn't pay $30! IMNSHO. I got it at the local Mustang parts store. He ordered them through his Ford dealer and got some. Could just picture some judge saying "OK let me see your socket!!! :: ::

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Laurie, The problem with the 65 is the Cig lighter is right on the dash. Not inside of the ashtray. So its visible all the time. But reguardless. Im gonna ask him how much just for the bezel and knob. the rest of it is not seen. Thanks all for the feedback.

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Oh, well that does make a difference! ::

1 - 9 of 9 Posts