Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have some old ones you would be willing to part with. Somebody walked off with mine. I had a pair of the old ancient iron plate types which for home use for me were the most versatile. I used them in the 15 to 45 pound range(each) but I can make do with less weight or improvise something if I wanted to go higher.

We used to have a small but very effective gym locally. The owner decided to move to another larger town, built a much larger space, got a bunch of new equipment and then doubled the membership fees. Go figure.

I have a barbell and a couple hundred pounds of plates. I don't work heavy anymore like I used to so they work fine. I can always add a few plates to get back up to repping 315 on the bench if I decide I can do that. When my kidney issue started up I cut my protein intake to virtually nothing and stopped lifting weights for quite a while. I've really missed it and felt a need to get back to it especially considering that my kidneys have improved. I've been making do with some old disc rotors which oddly enough equate exactly to 10 pound and 25 pound dumbbells. Hard to handle though. I discovered during the kidney crisis that exercise somehow stimulates my kidneys to work better so I mostly did my car stuff, yard stuff and 30 minutes 5 times a week on the stationary bike to try and keep in some kind of decent shape.

Going back on weights I decided to cut my diet protein back to virtually nothing and go back to a muscle gainer I used to take. It is made by Optimum Nutrition and a whey isolate blend, crammed full of aminos I can't even spell and every other vitamin and mineral you can think of. Very low on sugars. I think you could just about live on this stuff.

The big question I have to find out is how much protein can I intake without pushing my kidneys too much. I will have to see what I can see on that. I'm hoping I can get at least 60 grams a day but the blood tests will be the tell.

So anyway back to where this started, dumbells anyone? I may in the mean time go check another place I know that probably has old disc rotors. I clean them up, shoot them black and hey, they work better than nothing. I read a story about a world class lifter that made his stuff out of scrap rebar he got from a construction site. You do what you have to sometimes.

Due to the shutting down of gyms all over the country just about everywhere including Ebay is OUT OF STOCK and back ordered on dumbbells. They appear to also have gotten a lot more expensive. I could maybe get a strap kit but I don't like those things.

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
Weights are hard to come by these days, a lot of guys are looking with the shut down

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
General rule of thumb for how much protein you should get a day is 0.6grams per kg body weight. With kidney issues, I'm not sure I'd push that limit and would probably go on the lower side and gradually increase as you can tolerate it. Of course, your kidney doctor would be the best person to ask.

·
6,945 Posts
If you just need a set of CAP dumbbell handles, you can find them at your local sporting goods store for around $25.

They have them sized for universal plates on Amazon for $21...if you happen to have Prime to get the free shipping. Those come with (crappy) spin lock collars. I mean...they work, but they come loose after about every set and have to retighten them.

If you really need a free set...you'd be better off on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist or such that would be local so you could pick them up and not expect someone to have to ship them to you. Just my 2 pounds worth.

Phil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts