Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to get duplicate keys made for my 66 mustang at the local Home Depot. Even though I had the blanks, they claimed they did not have the right key cartridge. All the Ford cartriges were for double sided keys.

Any recommmendations?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I just got a set made at Lowes today for my 68, they didn't bat an eye at the Ford keys, and my new keys work perfect. Good Luck. Dave.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I use a regular locksmith, never had a problem.
I use a locksmith also. At $3.00 a pop plus shipping, I don't think I will trust the guy at the local Home Cheapo to cut it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Lock smith, order key blanks from a parts house, try the ford dealer, not an uncommon keyblank

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I had mine done at Home Depot using the Fomoco style blanks and they work great! I also hada key amde up at Walmart just for fun and it came out great too!

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
I got some cut at Carlisle by a vendor that is there every year who has blanks that match the factory original keys. I forget what he charged but he was pretty reasonable, got 3 sets made.

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
I'm guessing that person did not know what they were doing. I've had several sets of Mustang keys made at my local Home Depot with no problems (Yes, I provided the blanks) Find some place else to make them for you.
Dave

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Tried to get duplicate keys made for my 66 mustang at the local Home Depot. Even though I had the blanks, they claimed they did not have the right key cartridge. All the Ford cartriges were for double sided keys.
Well they were double sided after 1967! I got my blanks from NPD and had the local Ace cut them for me. They work like a charm.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Will the double sided '67 and up keys fit an earlier model? I mean the whole kit with cylinder, not just the keys. I've seen where they are making single key kits for the '67 up models - one key fits the doors, ignition and trunk.

Tim

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
if you have an issue you can send me the keys & the blanks along with a SASE, I will cut them for you & send the m back. I have a key machine at work & have cut all my keys with no trouble.
or if your in westchester county, contact me & I can do it for you while you wait

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
LOL, used to love those single sided keys, I can remember two Falcons my dad used to own that they were so worn you could remove the key once the car was started.

I think any of the Mustang parts houses would have a repo single sided key blank for the 65-66

1 - 12 of 12 Posts