Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to install a Duraspark distributor and hook it up to a MSD 6AL. I have a 66' mustang with a 302 4bl 5sp roller cam. I have learned from VMF that I should get the 85 GT distributor w/steel gear. I got on Cardone's website and came up with part number 30-2831. I ordered the distributor from the local parts store today. I went ahead and bought the MSD distributor cap for the 85 Duraspark. When the distributor came in, it is the smaller (more stock like) size distributor. Weird. I had the parts guy pull distributor caps that their system called out for the 85 distributor and all were the larger caps. Can someone explain to me what might be going on?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Did the distributor come with the cap adapter? There's a plastic adapter that clips or mounts with two screws (depending upon year) and THEN the distributor cap mounts to that.

If the distributor you got was just the aluminum housing it might trick your eyes into thinking it is the wrong one. It could also be mis-boxed. Seen that before.

To answer your original question though, the '85 distributor (for a five speed, as the AOD used CFI w/ TFI distributor and EEC-IV in '85) is correct for the steel gear for roller cam blocks or roller cam conversions. Always check the cam manufacturer though, as some roller conversion cams have a special gear treatment done and they don't require a steel distributor gear to run...

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
You don't -need- the adapter. If you prefer the stock look, you can use the 65-73 points style cap and rotor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts