Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there supposed to be a rubber seal and/or rubber boot between the pitman arm and centerlink on a V8 66. I have been collecting parts for a few years now to convert my 6 to a V8, painting the parts as I got them so I removed them from the packages. I have a round rubber washer which I think fits over the stud on the idler arm where it attatches to the centerlink, but it looks like it would fit over the stud which attatches to the pitman arm. Please help.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
I am missing the rubber 'washer' that goes over the pitman arm stud. I believe '67 is different in this sense because the stud is on the pitman arm as opposed to the centerlink on your '66. I'd bet it's the same or similar piece of rubber.

Would love to know where I can find one myself.

G

·
0 Posts
I can speak from my experience rebuilding the drag link, power valves and tie rods for my 66 289. There is a rubber boot which goes around the ball stud and before it is inserted into the pitman arm. Around this rubber boot goes a thin sheet metal collar which is held in place by two small sheet metal screws. The purpose for these is to retain an amount of grease which keeps the ball stud lubricated in its housing. Also, keeps dirt out from entering this same area. I can email you a pretty clear photograph of this area since I am still pondering the [http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=1&Board=forum&Number=430379&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=power steering &Match=Entire Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=2weeks&Main=430379] proper routing [/http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=1&Board=forum&Number=430379&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=power%20steering%20&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=2weeks&Main=430379]of one pariticular power steering hose.

I may have one of these boots and/or metal collars left over from my rebuild kits. Not sure but if you need photos or some of these parts, let me know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts