Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assessing one for the differences between it and OE, 65-68. As my convertible is done I'm not keen to remove the new (ish) top and frame to test fit the repro.

Overall it looks like pretty good repro part, obviously some easy-to-spot differences, curious how well it went with install, fit, top install...

Anyone used one? Results?

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a jig that I used when restoring my 68. I have a spare OEM top, and on initial disassembly and comparison the Dynacorn looks to be quite good. Have not completed the comparison, but initially these few items stood out:

1. Truss head screw appears to be metric, 5mm allen, 8mm x 1.25mm thread. Not the OEM #2 Phillips and 5/16-18. Kinda odd as everything else so far is same thread as OEM.
  2. Bows are slightly different sizes and curvatures to OEM, most noticeable on Bow#2, it is nearly flat, my 68's have about 1" of camber. I have heard early 65's had a different bow, maybe the Dynacorn follows this part for the repro. Bow #4 is about 1" wider than OEM.
  3. Bow #2 uses an eccentric for up/down, not the OEM slot screw.
  4. All of the rivets on the side linkages have flat heads, not rounded.
  5. Most fasteners are zinc, not P&O.
  6. Does not come with header weather strip retainer.
  7. In Bow#2 and #3 no taps for the screws used to hold the side pads to the bows.
  8. Bow #2 and #3 top listing attachment holes are a tiny bit off, minor filing required to fit the OEM retainer strips to the bows (strips not provided).
  9. Side rail linkage screws are larger size than OEM
  10. Bow #2 and #3 use same bracket, shorter then OEM in height and attached with flat head screws in a chamfered hole, not pan heads as with OEM.
  11. Packing in the box was a bit light, some shipping scuffs and a few other finish issues. Some blotchy paint and areas which were obviously not really well prepped prior to paint. Would need a light sanding and spray for clean finish.
  12. Main hinge is presses solid cast hinge (65-67) not adjustable 68 style.
  13. Coat hanger points are single hole (65-67) need drilling to use 68 style hooks.
  14. J hooks at header are different thread to OEM (smaller, did not measure).
All are quite minor from a fit and function standpoint. But if used future replacements for certain items would need to be sourced knowing the minor differences in some of the fasteners sizes between it and OEM.

Overall it looks like a very high quality product.... hoping for some feedback from anyone who's fit one with a top...

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm... guess Dynacorn is taking a bath on the development and production costs of this part... seems no one uses 'em! :shocked:

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so how well did it fit? Any issues installing it or the top over using a OEM?

·
Registered
35,887 Posts
Ok, so how well did it fit? Any issues installing it or the top over using a OEM?
The convertible top installed liked it, and he's complained about some original frames.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Dynacorn has created a host of cvt parts-they worked with a rust-free, straight 65 cvt.(I hope!) So, the top frame is certainly 65 as it the cvt floor pan with the E-brake cable reliefs stamped in the floor. Too bad, as have seen some blogs featuring 66-67-68 cvts with the 65 floors. The 65 cowl lid is another 65 item. Sure there's more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts