Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a passenger door for my 1966 fastback, how does the dynacorn door fit , any info would be much appreciated

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,738 Posts
I have a Dyacorn passenger door for my hardtop but haven't had a chance to mount it. My initial impression is it appears to be a decent part. I'll likely install it in the next couple of weeks. No doubt it will need some tweaking, time will tell.

·
Registered
35,308 Posts
From everything I've heard, the RIGHT side Dynacorn is better than the Golden Legion, but the LEFT side Golden Legion is better than the Dynacorn.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Holy Cow! That's darn good information to know. It sure would be nice if all of the re-stamped body panels could be listed in a table somewhere for a quick lookup to determine which individual parts are better quality from which particular suppliers. For now, I guess folks just have to post a question (even if someone else DID post a similar question years ago). As it is, we're kind of at the mercy of the suppliers.

If somehow we could, as a group of enthusiasts, identify which quality pieces come from which select suppliers, I bet that it would pressure the industry into stepping up their quality "across the board." If the suppliers got stuck with crap inventory that nobody would buy, they would be forced to stock only the best stuff.

Reactions: 1forfords

·
Spammer Hammer
9,542 Posts
The only issue with that, is the list will only be good for right now. As suppliers continue to make parts, tools wear and need constant conditioning. So the best parts would probably be a revolving door. Not that it's a bad thing, nor would a list be a bad thing. However, it would probably be a rabbit chase to maintain.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
If somehow we could, as a group of enthusiasts, identify which quality pieces come from which select suppliers, I bet that it would pressure the industry into stepping up their quality "across the board." If the suppliers got stuck with crap inventory that nobody would buy, they would be forced to stock only the best stuff.
You are barking up the wrong tree...

:cheers:

·
Registered
762 Posts
The only issue with that, is the list will only be good for right now. As suppliers continue to make parts, tools wear and need constant conditioning. So the best parts would probably be a revolving door. Not that it's a bad thing, nor would a list be a bad thing. However, it would probably be a rabbit chase to maintain.
Of course, you're absolutely right Patrick (sigh). I'm jaded because I'm used to dealing with MILSPEC stuff. OEMs can force that level of quality control from their subs because of volume but unfortunately, that dynamic doesn't exist in the repop world.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You are barking up the wrong tree...

:cheers:
Perhaps you could enlighten us with your selection of a better tree? Clearly, you have an opinion.

Oh, and I could teach you how to bark. (Nice joke by the way. Maybe you don't know that as Marines, we are proud of our bark. In fact, that's how we often greet one another.)

·
VMF Ambassador
6,580 Posts
Can't comment on the brands of doors because I honestly don't remember which mine were. But I've had one driver's door and two passenger's doors, all of which I bought from NPD and all of which were excellent fits. I had the luxury of being able to go to NPD in person to inspect the doors before buying them. However, I've heard from multiple people that if you get a door that "isn't right" (dings, dents, poor fitment, etc.) they will let you send it back and get a new one, no hassle. From what I know of them, they are constantly checking up on the doors to make sure they have the best ones since they are a part that so many people have had issues with in the past.

In short, my recommendation is to get whichever one NPD is currently carrying, because that's likely to be the best one!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yeah, Rick at NPD seems like a straight shooter too. He could probably educate us about how the doors are manufactured (multiple factories and multiple dies in Taiwan, like the hoods and trunk lids?)

·
Vendor
3,769 Posts
Currently there seems to be two tooling-sets/manufacturers for 65-66 door shells active in Taiwan, and they both actually seem to have their act decently together.

For many years, we've realized good quality and good success with our Golden Legion doors (20124-01A and 20125-01A @ $259.95/each). And we still do.

And then last year, our consolidator that fills containers for us from many of the same factories that supply Dynacorn, got us the new-tooling door shells using the thicker steel (as in the recent valances and rad supports etc..) more robust reinforcement, and it too has been a good-quality and successful door for us. Of course, with thicker and more-robust, you get a higher price. 20124-01C and 20125-01C @ $400.00/each.

So you basically have to buy with your wallet and priorities, but both choices are satisfactory.

Since there is so much going on with a door, secondary assembly and skin-installation and so-forth, it's inevitable that occasional anomalies will pop up here and there. So it's very important to test-fit before you dive-in to the deep end. And buying from a supplier that will talk to you if you've got issues, that's important too. Lastly, maintaining realistic historic context is required. For instance, the fit of the LH door to the fender on my 1,300-original-mile 1965 Mustang is, well, "interesting".... So even Ford had some variance in doors. :)

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
622 Posts
I purchased two doors for my '66 from NPD last year. They fit the quarter panel quite well, but I have to rebuild the hinges before I can give a complete review on front and rear alignment. So far, they're better than a lot of other repro parts I've bought, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the fit will be acceptable without a lot of rework.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
when i was shopping paint every shop i spoke to said they rather take their chances with a repop then spend
days on end tweaking and refinishing an old original panel just to have possibally, maybe, perhaps so called better gaps,

P

·
0 Posts
when i was shopping paint every shop i spoke to said they rather take their chances with a repop then spend
days on end tweaking and refinishing an old original panel just to have possibally, maybe, perhaps so called better gaps,
That's sad, but I don' doubt it. No one wants to repair, they just want to remove and install a shiny new one. And here in lies the difference in shops and people doing the work.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
At the time I was looking, which was a few years ago, I had three distinctly different pairs of repro doors clearly manufactured with different material and tooling, all had issues.

The main deal breaker for me with what was then labeled as a "Dynacorn" door (again I understand they aren't the manufacturer) was that it was "reverse grain".

I ended up fixing original doors, but that was a lot of work. My old door thread is here:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/653745-mustang-doors-will-death-me.html

1 - 20 of 43 Posts