Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed one of these yet? Im thinking of doing it on my 68 fastback. Just need some feed back on how it went and if it was worth it. Thanks...

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I installed one... The fit is very good, and the overall quality is excellent. The toughest part of the job is dealing with the rain gutters. The roof skin is pinchwelded the whole length of the gutter, so grinding the top layer off the gutter channel with out disturbing the lower part of the gutter is one of the tough parts. I used a thin ( ~0.060" thick) cut off blade on my 4-1/2" grinder. Just lightly grind away the pinch weld and it goes ok. Welding the roof back on is easy at the windsheild, rear window and along the quarter... once again the rain gutter is a little tricky. I used a combination of spot welds and mig welds to get a solid continuous weld.

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about the inner structure...was it a bear to seperate from the roof skin? Is it even spot welded to each other? Poxyed? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It's not really attached to the inner structure.. It's welded to the front and rear window frames, on the sides it's welded to the gutter...

These pictures were taken when I was checking the initial fit of the roof. Here you can see where the attachment points are.

http://home.comcast.net/~stangg/vmf/roof_1.jpg

The rain gutter for the a pillar is missing from this picture.
http://home.comcast.net/~stangg/vmf/roof_front.jpg

·
Registered
441 Posts
So the question is ringing in my mind? With this, quarter panels, and possibly some other sheet metal, could someone convert a coupe to a fastback?

Not interested myself, but the 1+1 conversion on here makes me think????

Jon

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yes, It's exactly what I did... My coupe roof was severly shot, so I got the inner roof structure from a worn out fastback and grafted it on to the coupes platform. With the roof skin off it made it a lot easier to properly tie the upper roof rails into the A pillars at the factory joints. At least two others here on VMF have done coupe to fastback conversions.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Key point here is that the conversions have all used existing fastback inner structures. While all of the fastback outer sheetmetal is available, the inner structure of the B-pillar and rear inner quarters has not been released yet, and I don't see it being released any time soon. You will need this inner structure to attach the upper vent/sail panel, and to attach all of the interior fiberglass panels.

If your plan is to do a coupe to fastback conversion strictly using reproduction parts, you are not going to be successful unless you can do one heck of a fabrication job on the innner structure.

I believe Dynacorn has specifically stated some of those parts will not be released, ie they are keeping them as proprietary to protect their complete bodies (doesn't help their business model if they sell you everything you need to build your own unibody cheaper than you can buy theirs).

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Anyone know what the peice runs?

I had a bunch of fabrication ideas for my next project, this just makes things a lot easier. Steel work is half the fun of building ^_^

1 - 9 of 9 Posts