Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some insight / experience with these products - hopefully from someone that may some experience with both?

The Eastwood product is less expensive but that does little good if it does not work as well.

Looking at the reviews for the Eastwood stuff - everyone loves it and says it is better than dynamat - but strangely enough if I look at dynamat reviews it is just the opporsite....

So - anyone have any experience to share?

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
I'm a firm believer in 2nd Skin. Used it in my FB and it works great.
Stan

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used b-quiet extreme. Better price than Dynamat. I have no affiliation with any of these companies. I put this stuff every in the cabin and in the doors. The doors no longer have that tin can sound, but a nice thud when I close the doors.

I expect all three of these will work good. I am just frugal (fancy word for cheap), but the b-quiet stuff seems pretty good for the money.

B-Quiet sound deadening materials - B-Quiet Extreme

·
Registered
125 Posts
I used the stuff from eDesign. EDead comes in different forms for different purposes. Great price and customer service!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used dynamat in the trunk of my fastback, and it worked great! I couldnt believe how much quieter the exhaust sound inside the car was, as well as the reduction in rattling. I have never used Eastwood however, it might work just as well. In fact i have even heard that you can use some type of roofing insulation from home depot, but it might smell funky.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I've never used any of the modern stuff. Probably a dumb question, but do you cover the entire door/floor/whatever, or just strips to reduce resonance?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Dynamat

I am using Rattle Trap sound deadener made by Fat Mat on my '65 coupe. It is definitely a quality material and costs about half what Dynamat does. The other thing I like about it is that it comes in a roll which I like for ease of installation. Some of the others come in sheets and there is more waste when completed.

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
I am using Rattle Trap sound deadener made by Fat Mat on my '65 coupe. It is definitely a quality material and costs about half what Dynamat does. The other thing I like about it is that it comes in a roll which I like for ease of installation. Some of the others come in sheets and there is more waste when completed.
After helping my son use a roll (Fatmat) for his Lightning truck, I really like the sheets (2nd Skin) because I didn't have to deal with a big roll of the stuff. The sheets were easy to handle and I used all of it.
Stan

·
Registered
92 Posts
I used fatmat to do my floors a while back. Looks good. But now that I have to do some stuff over again, I went with dynamat. Twice as thick and sticks so much better than fatmat. I paid double the price but got a much better product. Amazon has some good prices for it. I regret using fatmat.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I used 2nd skin, I think they are all about the same stuff, not much difference between brands except the price, after all it's not going in the Space Shuttle

·
Registered
2 Posts
so doing some price comparisons.... my next question is how many sq ft have you guys needed to do your car? i got a 66 vert and a 66 fastback, and no idea what kind of ballpark i am looking at to do either one of them as far as square footage needed. thanks.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
To get back to the original question...I used Eastwood after reading a bunch of reviews. It is an amazing difference. I think you'd be happy with any of the products. You'll need two boxes to do the complete interior: roof, sail panels, floor, doors...maybe even three if you do all the little extra area like the rear shelf, trunk divider (if you install one), kick panels, wheel wells, etc.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Here's a link to an old thread here that I'd run across a while back, http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/515459-sound-deadener-questions.html it also has a link to another forum discussing insulation/sound deadener.

There are some folks that've used Frost King duct insulation and report it works great, here's a link to the product page on the Lowe's site: Shop Frost King Foam Duct Insulation at Lowes.com I'm planning of trying out the Frost King stuff as it's only $18.77 per roll. Each roll is 12" wide, 1/8" thick and 15' long. I've read that about 40 sq ft covers a coupe and that 80 sq ft covered a FB, now remember that every owner is going to cover things that others may not and some may cover them twice so those numbers of course are to be used a guide. I'd tend to think 60-70 sq ft for a coupe should be plenty and have some left over to keep as spare pieces, cover the trunk area, inside the doors, them old water heater pipes in your basement or sell/give it to a fellow hobbiest. :)

Best of luck and let us know what you end up using.

Oscar

·
Registered
247 Posts
Reflectix 4 ft. x 25 ft. Double Reflective Insulation - BP48025 at The Home Depot

That is a link to Home Depot product page for Reflectix 4 ft. x 25 ft. Double Reflective Insulation. It is $42.42/roll. More than a roll of the Frost King but is alot more material although I don't see that it has any adhesive backing though. Some folks have used it in conjunction w/other stuff, as written in the old VMF thread I referenced above.

I like reading in the reviews for it where one lady uses it to cook outdoors and how she's given the idea to Somali women who have to forage for firewood. Another reviewer says he makes his own car/truck sunshades from it! Hmmmm.

Oscar

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Reflectix 4 ft. x 25 ft. Double Reflective Insulation - BP48025 at The Home Depot

That is a link to Home Depot product page for Reflectix 4 ft. x 25 ft. Double Reflective Insulation. It is $42.42/roll. More than a roll of the Frost King but is alot more material although I don't see that it has any adhesive backing though. Some folks have used it in conjunction w/other stuff, as written in the old VMF thread I referenced above.

I like reading in the reviews for it where one lady uses it to cook outdoors and how she's given the idea to Somali women who have to forage for firewood. Another reviewer says he makes his own car/truck sunshades from it! Hmmmm.

Oscar
Yes this is a great idea for sound and heat / cooling retention but there is a good chance you will collect mosture underneath the material , unless you secure it to the floor panels with some kind of adhisive.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've heard of this as well. Anyone here try it?
I've used a self adhesive flashing I bought at either Lowes or Home D with good results. If you research it, it's the same material as most of the automotive sound deadners, Butyl rubber.

This stuff was Grace Vycor. Worked great on the inside of doors, roof floor etc. No problem with smell and $24 for a 75 feet roll. Mine's about 12" wide.

Just do some researching and find out what thickness and materials are available out there.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone - lots of good feedback and more options to consider now.

(definitely sounds like I can bypass dynamat and still be happy with something less expensive)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts