Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day finally came to dyno the motor for the Boss 302 Project. Quick recap - 363 c.i. Dart 8.2 deck block with billet crank, billet rods, 8.0 blower pistons, jesel belt drive, Blue Thunder heads, jesel rockers with valves to handle the nitrous, all the toys.

We decided to break it in with a carburetor before installing the supercharger, intercooler, FAST fuel injection and distributorless ignition goodies.

Note - this motor has a supercharger camshaft in it with huge lobe separation, 8:1 compression, the carb wasn't tuned, the intake wasn't ported and the distributor was from Auto Zone. Not an ideal setup.

http://www.dvsrestorations.com/jpeg/dyno1.jpg
http://www.dvsrestorations.com/jpeg/dyno3.jpg

The motor made 523hp @ 7000 rpm wheezing through the above junk.

When the upper end goes on we'll be in the 900-1000hp range easy. Then we'll hit the nitrous.

Some days it DOES pay to gnaw through the straps! :thumbup:

Dave

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
http://www.obsidianspider.com/vmf/graemlins/drool.gif

Is this the same car that's getting the 6 speed without modifying the trans tunnel?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Wow! That is already impressive. What kind of supercharger are you going to run (psi boost) and at what rpm what the engine making the HP and TQ?

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Holy Horsepower Batman!

Is this engine getting installed into a Mustang or a Caterpillar Bulldozer?

What are your plans for the barely able to withstand 400HP unibody?

Dave

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are your plans for the barely able to withstand 400HP unibody?
All is well. We have devised a plan to keep the car from throwing the back window out on the pavement. Details soon....

Dave

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
If this car ever hooks up, you better have a real good plan!

Wheelie bars and a full frame with cage will be a start.

I'm looking forward to seeing this!

Dave

·
Registered
382 Posts
that's so insane! i wish i could afford something like that. but even if i could, i bet miles-per-gallon would turn to gallons-per-mile XD

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
i wish i could afford something like that. but even if i could, i bet miles-per-gallon would turn to gallons-per-mile
When you put $25-30,000 into just the engine, the last thing you're worried about is filling up the gas tank.

DVS Dave,
How much (ball park) do you have tied up in that MONSTER? Am I close?

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Nice foundation with that block. What wheel tire combo are you thinking about in the rear? I'm running about 620hp gross and I'm looking for ideas/modifications to get 315's or 335's out back on my '65

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much (ball park) do you have tied up in that MONSTER? Am I close?
I could tell you, but I would have to kill you. Let's just say the owner is still in tears......... But not for long.

Stay tuned. Info like tires and suspension are to be detailed on the web site.

Dave

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
mustangsurfer said:
Is this the same car that's getting the 6 speed without modifying the trans tunnel?
Yes.
How in the heck were you able to fit a T-56 in a Mustang withOUT modifying the trans tunnel?!!! I wanna know!

Is there a post about this install someplace?

Oh, and your engine is going to be one scary beast!!! Can't wait to see how it comes together.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
.....I think I just had a cargasm......
If that beast hooks up, the acceleration will peel your face off of your skull.
Where can i get one?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Oh man, watching this build. Wow.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sneak peek at the chassis before we put the skeleton under it: Don't tell....

http://www.dvsrestorations.com/jpeg/rollout1.jpg

Dave

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ahem - Just found out that the advance on the cheap distributor was loose. He tightened it up and re-ran the motor.

554hp @ 6800rpm.

If we ported the manifold and played with the carb at all we could probably get 600 easy.

Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts