Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright first it started out as the carb was bad a 600 cfm holley was backfiring and after 2 hours of trying to tune it a new 670 cfm holley double pumper went on!

Alright the dyno numbers went from 150 at 2000 RPMS before it started backfiring to 211 and 3000.

Well on that run of 211 hp the water pump broke-the shaft snapped and sent the fan into the radiator! Thank goodness the fan is on an electric motor so it wasnt spinning at 3000 rpms.

Now its time for a new radiator, water pump, and an electric fan to get rid of that fixed bladed fan to elimante that problem in the future! Has anyone ever heard of that happening where the water pump shaft just breaks clean in 2?

What size electric fan-puller-would you guys recommend on the stock radiator?

Hopefully after the new radiator and water pump goes in-I wont have any more mishaps! This dyno session is getting real expensive REAL Fast!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I'm really confused. If the fan is electric, how did a broken water pump effect it? I have heard of water pump shafts breaking (VMFer, 66gt350, out at Sacramento Raceway comes to mind), but don't see where it would effect an electric fan much.

Are these dyno runs on the '66? I still think that a 670 cfm Double Pumper is too much carb for an engine only putting out 211 HP. What were the torque numbers? If it's an automatic, those mechanical secondaries are likely killing your low end torque unless you have a decent stall converter. You'd likely see an increase in torque with a properly setup 600 cfm carb, preferably with vacuum secondaries with an automatic.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fan is running off a little moroso 12v motor. I guess the water pump was just fatigued and it broke and went into the radiator. Plain and simple-I wish I had a better story like yeah it was at 7500 rpm and it shot off and went into the radiator. But the fact is it only spends at like 1500 rpm and it just broke.

Well that number of 211 was only at 3000 rpm-thats when the fan broke-so it was shut down. I still have another 3500-4000 rpm left.

Any recommendations for an electric fan?!!?

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
johnpro said:
I'm running the SPAL 16" fan in my '66 and my '69. In a '65/'66, though, some modifications to the radiator are required to make it fit. Clearance between the water pump pulley and the radiator is a serious challenge or '65/'66 cars.

You may have to offset the fan so that the fan center is not directly over the hub of the top pulley of the engine - due to clearance issues.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
SPAL. I have a 4 row radiator and an Edelbrock water pump and it fits. Its very thin. In fact, I think as I recall it is the only fan in the entire world that would fit between my radiator and my water pump.

Get the biggest one that will fit. Measure your radiator and the distance between your radiator and the waterpump shaft.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Seems like a strange experience to me.
It takes me .2 seconds to get my car past 2500 on the dyno...heck even with a spun bearing I still pulled 6500 on the dyno and 285 HP

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I know where you are comming from-I guess they were getting it up their slowly for a baseline? I dont know? Either way parts are getting ordered and its getting time to put her back together!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts