Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my VMF friends are the first to see the results of the FBD Dyno.
TFOBjr and I went to Baker Engineering in Nunica Michigan. What a bunch of cool guy's.
They do race engines, Big time customers!.
The owner Gave us a personal tour of the place.
There were cool engines everywhere. They had a Boss 302 engine on the engine dyno they had just rebuilt and was getting ready to run it to break the cam in.
The owner is a FORD guy but they do work for all brands. He owns a 1967 GTA 390 Vert Mustang. It was at home he dosen't drive it much any more. He has owned it for over 20 years. While the FBD was on the chassie Dyno his Father drives up in a 68 GT500KR Vert!!!!!!! He called his dad and told him he needed to come down and see my car. They liked it a lot.
The KR is his dads daily driver!!! he just put 200 miles on that day and almost 1000 miles on in less than a month. It is Bone stock.He has all the smog stuff but it was in the trunk.
Needless to say we had a great time there! TFOBjr asked about getting a job there . They said maybe next summer. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
Ok on to the Dyno results!
I was a little disapointed in the results but It gives me a baseline at where I am at. we did 4 runs. the timing started right where I had it 15* initial 33* total. we did a run, I ran it up to 6200rpms.
Peak HP was 237.4 at 4900 rpms, Torq was 317 at 3400 rpms
The Air fuel Ratio was perfect!
Then they retarded the timing 3* Lost Hp and torq then advanced 3* Just a little less Hp. So in other words I had the timing and carb set perfect. They could not get any improvement. Well at least I did something right!

So what does the future hold. Right now nothing. I will keep it the way it is for awhile. I most likely put flowmasters on with mandrel bends over the axle. That will pick up some Hp over the Turbos that are on there. In a few years D0VE heads or something similar. I am in no hurry. They liked the way it ran and said it was a very good street engine.
So I now wait your imput!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Well, at least if won't be hard to increase the numbers in the future /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

My 302 puts almost the same power to the rear wheels. Actually, a bit more HP (you've got me on torque though). Of course, my peak RPMs are up a bit higher as well.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Dang TFOB, I'm dissapointed, or I should say I would be if I were you. I thought much higher numbers. Yes, I know this is at the rear wheels but it doesn't seem right to me. What kind of compression are you running?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are 73 heads ported on the exhaust side 8.5 - 1 compression. Ya I know low compression.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
You can certainly take heart in your tuning abilities Tony. Not many hobbyists can claim such a feat and come as close as you have. You obviously figured out the timing thing for your particular setup.

As stated above, you know your starting point now and can change components according to you desired power level.

Thanks for posting your results and good luck on the upcoming performance upgrades. *G*

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Find a set of '68 or '69 small chamber heads.With a port cleanup and chamber polish you would see a big increase.Or if budget isn't a consideration,you can get some killer aluminum cobra jet heads from ford,and take a lot of weight off the front...

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
230 rearwheel horsepower - Isn't that about where the new Mustang GTs sit at? That's 281 cubes vs. 429 cubes...

I bet a set of trick flow heads would really wake it up.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
C6 loss about 25% - 28%

·
Registered
680 Posts
Tony: Those are just numbers...You drive by the seat of your pants...As long as it makes you happy driving it, forget the numbers.....
Should I mention the 460 crank again???
Just joking...I think your biggest downfall is the compression. I am running 10 1/2 to 1 in mine, and not having any problems with detonation....I think you need a set of early heads, and a little more compression.
Hey, enjoy the car the way it is,Now. Winter is comming on. We all need winter projects...And, it will bald a tire anytime....

Steve

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Tony,
You can drive it anywhere, it's paid for and it hauls donkey, enjoy!
Of course some domed pistons might have been a good investment.... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
Excellent pulls,
D

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Tony,
You can drive it anywhere, it's paid for and it hauls donkey, enjoy!
Of course some domed pistons might have been a good investment.... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
Excellent pulls,
D

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
First of all let me say i'm proud of you for being a man and posting your honest dyno results!!!

So many people make up and outright lie about there dyno results. Of course the numbers can be better and i'm sure they will get better. Don't worry too much about the compression ratio. On the desktop dyno it only amounts to abut 2 HP for every .1 compression. So if you were running 10:1 rather than 8.5:1 you would have 30 more horsepower, require premium gasoline and worry about ping. Assuming 33% loss to parasitic loss you got a peak horsepower of about 315 HP. that is respectable especially given the big block tendency for big torque. With an average of 1 HP per cubic inch you got about 100 HP hiding someplace. You know where 30 of them are hiding. Another 20 HP are probably not obtainable given the fact that you things like mufflers and air cleaners for the street. The other 50 are probably lost in air flow. Either in the heads, exhaust system or cam.

Given the 8.5:1 pistons your running and the fact that you had the exhaust side of the heads ported. If your still wanting bigger horsepower numbers you might want to consider a small supercharger. I'de guess somebody had a way to add a paxton type supercharger to your big block. The engine is already built to handle the horsepower. The upgrade would be cheaper than an expensive set of ported heads. A paxton running just a mild boost (5 pounds) will give you 150 horsepower, a set of heads will give you at best 50. The other huge advantage is that its a bolt on upgrade.

Besides of you had 400 horsepower you'de be done with your project and you'de never come visit us.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
TFOB, Nedcrane has the right idea.......you will experience some of the largest benefits from a good set of heads.....like the cobrajet alum heads.....This also means you can run higher compression
without the pinging and less weight on the front end....

Reducing vehicular weight is the cheapest way to add horsepower.....or at least make it more effective!!!

if you run these heads and a healthy 9.5-10.5:1 comp ratio
you can stick with pump fuel and run approx 350 horsepower

If you wanted more you could run a 270 cam for it......214/214 duration, .495/.495 lift with 110 degree lobe separation....this way you can run your stock converter and keep you power
brakes etc...

The cam should make take advantage of the better breathing
alum heads......building horsepower like this has a domino effect...
they just compliment eachother.

So heads and a cam and maybe later an MSD ignition.

if you want to free up more then a roller cam and rockers is in order.....the engine will spool up quicker and heat/friction will be reduced.

speed is measured in cubic dollars.
and you can really wake that 429 up

G

·
0 Posts
Maybe we need to create a support group for mustangers that are ready to admit their true horsepower and are willing to accept the accomplishment of their work and be ok with it. Learning to live up to our own personal best and not allowing others to create the inaccurate and disillusional yardstick for the validation of our projects will allow us to move to a zenlike state of mustanging!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts