Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have dyno reults, that I need some input as to what may be happening with my ignition or fuel...However can't seem to get it posted..
blkstlln

·
Registered
578 Posts
Scott, did you do the dyno runs at the Round up? I heard there were a lot of guys who were brought back down to earth after they saw what their actual horsepower was, not what they were telling everybody what they thought they had.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I think that is very respectible, especially for hp at the wheels. I've always thought that there was a tendency to overestimate hp.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Very balanced horsepower and torque - Nice!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GB,
I was at the roundup but did the dyno at Pacific raceways on ford day....
blkstlln

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DO,
I am running a stock block 289 with all the Edelbrock RPM performer mods...cam, heads, intake rollers, and yes, even the carb! LOL 2 1/2" X-piped exhaust, Hedman shorties..

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Did they monitor air/fuel ratio or try adjusting the timing? I think you could get a little more out of it with tuning. I gained 40hp with a jet change on the dyno.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BG,
No they didn't attempt any adjustments, it was just to see what the numbers were.. Any guesses on the spikes in the graph? He said fuel or ignition..I have had an issue with my fuel regulator fluctuating a few pounds..I am going to get it back on a dyno in a few days to try and figure it out. Also to finally determine if I will continue to run the edelbrock carb, or my Holley. What carb are you using? And how is it jetted? Nice web site by the way!
blkstlln

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
My first couple of runs looked like your also, I was getting wheels spin on the rollors. It's really something watching your car do a burnout in 4th gear while standing next to it.
Once the tires heated up and the operator cranked down on the retaining straps the chart cleaned up. If your not getting wheel spin, it really hard to say what the problem is, could be lean, or timing could be bouncing around a bit. I run a holley 650dp and a can't rember what the jetting was, I know
I had the jetting all screwed up. I thought it was running pretty
good. I know we went 10 jet sizes down on the secondaries, because my wide open air fuel ratio was like 7-1 (slightly rich) If you going back for tuning I would invest in a oxygen sensor bung, have it welded into your header collector. The dyno operator can use the wide band O2
sensor to help with tuning. If they don't have a wide band, I would pick another dyno. They set my timing while the car was running on the dyno, wide open twisting the distributor, watching the numbers rise and fall. My car liked 36 degrees total timing.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Now that is some good info.....

Now I'm gonna go get a bung on one side of my X-pipe....

After the engine and the rest of the powertrain is all secured into my coupe I'm gonna have a 3rd pass and tweaking the jets will occur.......I hope we see the big gains Billgear experienced....

*crossing fingers*

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BG Thanks for the input..I dont think the tires were slipping on the rollers, but then again standing next to the car at 6K is somewhat unnerving! O2 bung..great idea!
blkstlln

1 - 16 of 16 Posts