Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to make some changes to my 65 Shelby (restomod) recently, as far as carbureation goes. I had a 750 Holley on it and it was just too much for even my 347 stroker (for street use). It ran a bit too rich and had a bog in it I just couldn't get out of it, except for wide open racing use).

I drove it to a car show up in the mountains and the higher altitude and my 750cfm Holley just didn't get along at all!

I bought a new Holley Avenger 670 cfm and am working the bugs out of it now. I think I have about got it, and so far it's running a lot better. Especially for everyday driving around town and etc.

I put it on a chassis Dyno yesterday (after going to the smaller carb and did 6 pulls ranging from 5800 RPM to 6,000 RPM and it really pulled some good numbers, but admittedly the h.p. and torque are down as compared to the 750 cfm unit. Only getting just a bit over 310 horses actually to the ground. I had some plug wires arcing due to the high voltage system I'm running. But I think I've got that curred. Even though, it still managed to put over 310 ft lbs of torque to the ground all the way to 110 mph @ 5800 RPM before it started dropping off a little.

But it showed that from Stop to 4,000 RPM I was getting some
fluttering in the carb but after that it ran flat all the way to 6,000, with a good air to fuel ratio of around 12.5.

IN 4th gear the Dyno speed was 120 miles per hour, and I still had 5th to go! Wow 6,000 RPM @ 120 mph on a Dyno is scary to hear that motor wind that high!!!!! But it held together just fine...."knock on wood". HA

I'm going to rerun it again tomorrow after making some additional changes and see how it runs at around 6,500 RPM. A scary thought!

After I make just a couple more adjustments and changes to it, I'll be giving the NITROUS a try on the Dyno to see how much more it adds to it. What fun! I can hardly wait.

I've now got my shift points set at 6,200 rpm, with the NITROUS to shut off at 6,000 and the RVE limiter set for 6,500.

All runs were with the fuel pressure set at 6 lbs and even after the 6 pulls I was very proud of it, the temperature stayed nice and cool. That 5 row aluminum radiator and 16" spal fan really works.

Later,
"Doc"

http://jmichael.info/shelbyindrag.jpg

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I've got a 670 street avenger for my "street boss" engine. I can't wait to try it out. What "bugs" did you have to work out?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
That 5 row aluminum radiator
Where did you find a 5 row aluminum radiator? I've never seen an aluminum radiator with more than 2 rows, as most aluminum radiators have 1" rows. How big are the rows on this radiator?

The dyno numbers are very impressive.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
It's funny how those "rollers" can bring us down to reality.... ;) ::

Very impressive!
My Cougar with a 392W only made 300HP/375#tq.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
too each his own, call your car whatever u please. U put restomod in the title so you werent trying too fool anyone.
Keep us up too date on the holley avenger. I have one but havent used it yet.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
BTW didn't grr motor dyno it to have 450 at 6,000?
Did this dyno seesions include 'professional' tuning help? Because if that is the case (the motor numbers), you shouldn't be giving up 150hp in the drivetrain...not even if you were running a power hog AOD like I run (but I do get over 15 MPG) ;)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Setting the float levels and the spring screw tension for the power valve so it didn't have a bog just off idle.

While Dynoing it the flota stuck on the rear and had to be replaced as well. But overall I like it better than my 750.

Doc

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry I don;t have them so I can show them to you. They were emailed to me from the shop along with a software download so I could view them, I don;t know how I can capture them to show. Sorry, I'm not that good at that sort of stuff.

Doc

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Take a look at This Page. Performance Bodies sells the same radiator as a 2 core with 1" cores. My guess, is that you read some where that it cools as well as a 5 core brass one would (if anyone actually made a 5 core).

Still, that's a nice radiator (and the one I have in my sportsroof).

I'm not trying to flame you or embarass you, I'm just trying to let you know what you have.

A 5 core racing radiator would be counter productive, because of all the added weight in water that you'd be carrying.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes the motor itself with a heavily missaged 750 ran the numbers up to 438 h.p. to be exact, with nothing hanging on or dragging down the motor, like my alternator, A/C and belts and a smaller carb to boot. Plus I didn't have real good gas in it yesterday as well and the carb still wasn;t adjusted right during the 6 pulls. And I had some wires arcking which I'm sure affected it some. So all in all it pulled it down considerably but still it felt and ran very well. I'm sure it will improve as I mess and tweak with things a bit.

Doc

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Doc,

I think you should call it a Shelby +++. After all, it looks as good as any "real" Shelby and will out perform/out handle any "real" Shelby. In fact, IMHO......it's better than a "real" Shelby.

Lou

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Shelby restomod sounds like someone took a shelby and destroyed its value... rather than sound like its a clone. Call it a restomod clone and you got your bases covered.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts