Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has used these "band clamps" on their exhaust system. I'm installing a Flowmaster system I got from Mustangs Unlimited, and I've been debating welding vs. clamps. I saw these band clamps in a Summit catalog, and they seem like a good idea. I would use them on each side of the mufflers, but weld the reducers to the H-pipe.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=WLK%2D33228

Thanks for any tips,
Warren

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
I use those all of the time on my race cars...They work very well. They are a bit bulky, though....

·
Registered
678 Posts
If you are inserting one pipe into another you need to find the stepped ones. I have not been able to find them in 2.5". I have used the straight ones. They leaked a little even though they bent to the lip where the pipes went together. The aluminun block the bolts go through won't give through and made the leak.

I would use them again. Find the stepped ones or grind a tolerance into that block for the bigger pipe end.
Neil

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Warren, I have been trying to find those stepped ones with no success, unless I am incorporated and want to buy a set of 10 from the manufacturer. I agree that you should use the stepped ones (Search for a pic of MYTOYS muffler setup). If we could get one of the vendors that frequent VMF to stock them, that would be cool! The stepped version is called a Torc-tite band. These are more common in the trucking industry for the same applications. Unfortunately, most of the suppliers start at 3" and go up!

Torctite

1 - 4 of 4 Posts