Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just had exhaust installed on my stang. I had 2 1/2 all the way back with a crossover pipe, and dynomax super turbos. 300 bucks. This is all behind a cleveland. To say the least, I am not happy with the superturbo's. I put them in because I have not seen a negitive review of them on VMF or stangnet. The mufflers are to quiet and are only noticeable to me above 3500 rpm. Even then the sound is thin. I dont really have much of a cam so that could be it too. I guess Its the old farts that love em. I want the damn thing to sound mean. The sound I really wan't is that kind of hollow mopar sound of the 340/360's I hear at the track. Does anybody know what im talking about? Mopars have that distinct sound that sounds so nice at idle. Anyway, I didnt go with flows because the cost. Im looking for new mufflers. I want to be able to listen to tunes and also have a sick exhaust. I though the ST are the happy medium but I was wrong. Looks like Im gonna have to get some Flows 50 series? Is there a cheap clone of this? 80 bucks for a muff is too much. Thanks for the help, J.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Hm, I didn't like the Flowmasters on my red '65 Fastback - sounded too tinny and like a hoover vacuum cleaner than a mean V8. If you dislike the Dynomax ST you'll really hate the Dynomax Super Hemi Turbo's same design as the ST but larger in size. It's quiet but has a low rumble if you listen to it. I understand how you feel (Clevelands always sounds good) but I've always enjoyed a powerful quiet car - no one suspects a quiet car to be powerful!

Regards,

Dean T

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you, sir, are out of your mind.

not to disagree with you, but why am I out of my mind?

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
This old fart has dynomax's and love the sound and my car must be a lot different. I have a 70 with a 351 4v mild to mid performance cam and exhaust manifolds, 2 1/2 inch dynomax's , and a cross over. At idle my car has a deep muscle car tone and believe it or not I get possitive feed back on it. Now talk about 2800 RPM to 3500 the car can be a little annoying and sounds real good to 7000 RPM don't ask how I know.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe they screwed me and gave me some other type of turbo muffler. There is no writing on the thing. Do ST have writing on em? I bet I got some 10 dollar generic turbo, cause the dang thing just be to darn quiet. Maybe its an exhaust leak and nothings making it to the muffs? But then it would be real loud huh?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Maybe you do have Dynomax Super Hemi Turbo mufflers. Your '72 is large enough I think for them to fit. I have one on my '78 Friggin Futura (about 17" long, 2-1/2 in and out) and with the 302 single exhaust she's extremely quiet with just a hint of burble. Under acceleration it sounds like a V8 but it doesn't rattle the windows or anything. I think the word DYNOMAX is embossed on the shell of the muffler.

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
If you are balking at $80 per muff, it's likely you will find nothing but similar sounds to what you already have in the $40/50 range.

I think the sound you are looking for might be an Edelbrock Muffler ... but look at the price of those /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Let's get this out of the way. I confess to being an old fart. After years of racing motorcycles and driving cars that were obnoxiosly loud, I purposely sought mufflers that weren't going to cause my ears to ring and fillings to loosen (yes, I still have my natural teeth!). I drive my old cars regularly, and loud noise is fatiguing. I also like to be able to hear the stereo.

I used the Dynomaxes on my Dodge Dart (you know - one of those sweet sounding Chrysler small blocks) and they were fine. So fine that I regularly get compliments on the sound.

So... when I was looking for mufflers for my W-powered fastback - I went with the D-maxes. They should be embossed on one side with the Dynomax logo. If you are using anything other than center-in center-out mufflers, one side of the car should show the logo.

There are plenty of loud mufflers on the market. If what you had installed is not loud enough - take 'em back. But, IMHO, good performing mufflers with moderate sound levels are the way to go. You may not get it now - but just wait 20 years or so and it will make sense - LOL!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Maybe you should try Supertrapp mufflers. An acquaintance years ago had them on his Mopar and it sounded like a race car. I use D-max Super Turbos, though, and get a lot of compliments from young and old, both sexes, all races.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I was about to buy the dynomax muffs, but got a ride in a 500+ hp Cobra running super turbos. Except at WOT, it was really quiet. I've decided to go with the Delta Flows.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Gotta have some horsepower output for the Dynomax's to speak. Flowmasters were so loud on my car just at idle and at a traffic light nobody wanted to leave the light before I did. At night and at full song the car could be heard a mile away. If you want a lot of sound without much power, sort of like those Bose radio ads, try one of those Ricer coffee cans.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
For the sound I think you are talking about, and the price range you want, I think you want glass packs. I wouldn't run them with headers, but with manifolds you'll be OK, though still VERY loud.

Other option is the Summit brand "welded" mufflers, which are basically flows without the cost of the name. However, I don't think that is the tone you are after either.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Try the MAC mufflers. At $79 for stainless they are a good buy. A little to loud for me but everyone that hears the car loves the sound. Their adds say a little quiter than the flowmaster 3 chambers and a little better flow. Get on it and everyone knows you are coming.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Try these babies from Spintech. Many, many racecars run them. By the way,..if you want a Mopar sound maybe you should "Buy one"...

As an "old fart" that likes DST's when on the street...I run the Spintechs when on the track....

You "Young Turds" will probably need the racetrack sound on the street to assert your so far undetermined manhood!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You "Young Turds" will probably need the racetrack sound on the street to assert your so far undetermined manhood!

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif ! good one!haha

1 - 19 of 19 Posts