Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i look at e-bay at times, as lots of you. im on vmf much more though,like every night it seems. BUT I HONESTLY dont understand how a scam works. i can understand poor descriptions,lies etc. on cars,parts to sell. but how do you sell a 65 fstbk for a 70 boss 302. OR EVEN MORESO how do you sell something you just dont have!!! do people send money and thats the end of that. also how/why does e-bay which i THOUGHT were fairly strict allow things like this. i mean you hear about it all the time but i never really hear the end result.i see stuff all the time thats just to good to be true. 69 boss 429 for 9,000.00.etc. etc, how do people pull this off? thanks, im really/honestly curious.

·
Registered
529 Posts
From what I understand, Ebay is does not go after people like you would think. It's hard to get them to do anything more than banning the person, which is ineffective, as the person will just get a new user id and a router that changes their IP address each time they log on. If it's too good to be true, it generally is. Now, I have to say that I've never ever had a bad experience from Ebay. I even bought a cream puff of a 64 1/2 Mustang from there and the car was actually BETTER than what was described. But, I called the guy and asked all the right questions before bidding. It's a great tool as long as it doesn't drive up prices of parts (see other threads on this) and people protect themself instead of taking everything as gospel and just bidding on everything.

I've lost my point...

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Whenever a scam needs a little money they would do something like the following:

1. Spam a 1 million member email list with a phishing email designed to lift user ids and passwords for ebay.
2. Log into ebay as that user and change the password and email address.
3. List a private sale auction using that user ID
4. Collect the email address of people thinking about bidding that request to be on list or just ask a question
5. respond to all those emails with a form letter that you think looks personalized expressing that you really need to sell the car and want a 2-5k deposit upfront via western union.
6. Have the 1 in 50,000 mark stupid enough to wire you money send it to your name C/O Tin Buc Tu Africa. Then walk to your local western union (whether it be in Dallas or Tiawan) and withdrawl the money. It ussually helps if the name used is fake as well so you need a fake ID for the best success.
7. repeat as needed.

Ebay could easily combat all of this with discussion forums attached to each auction so that buyers would ask their questions publically and the seller would respond publically. Buyers could also easily post their concern that the auction might be a scam quickly alerting others not to participate. If it was a real auction, the seller would simply need to produce some proof that the item was legit at which point EBAY would remove messages calling it a scam. This solution WILL work, but would be pricey for ebay since it would need to higher head count to police the message forums for abuse....and since EBAY is all profiting PERIOD. Regardless of it is from highjacked user accounts or real sales, why would they ever institute something that would HELP users since they would spend funds they don't have too....after all....their TOCs insulate them from any liability.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
They pull it off because of the never-ending procession of people who are overly endowed with greed! Some folks just don't understand that if it sounds too good to be true, ir probably is. A lot of the ones that are pulled off the site still fleece somebody. The scammers always want you to contact them. After contact by a "fish", they don't care if the ad is pulled, and it sometimes works to their favor. They get a down payment and vaporize, or send a bogus check for enough to cover shipping, and get reimbursement when they get the "fish" to send the difference to the "shipper". They will continue to flourish, but some of the bogus auctions can be stopped. Ebay just isn't with the program, and is quickly becoming a place where nobody with any sense will buy a car they can't go and see for themselves.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Here's what happened to me:

ABout 6 months ago I bought something on ebay and was happy with with the transaction so I logged on to leave feedback. When I opened my account up, the message said that I needed to leave feedback for 3 items. Huh? So I looked at them and I found that I had "sold" a $1000 treadmill a week prior and had two another identical auction just finishing for another $950 and a third with 3 day to go. What the?

I looked at the auctions and sure enough they all had mynickname, profile and rating. I tried communicating with Ebay and of course you can't get a phone number, and the email takes 3 days. So, I took matters into my own hand and emailed all the "winners" of these auctions not to pay-that it was a scam. Unfortunately, one had already paid-but one had just been to Western Union and fortunatley was able to reverse the payment and get her money back. The last auction, I got Ebay to cancel. But the one guy was out $1000 real dollars.

He and I had a couple of phone conversations -he thought I was the crook-it went something like this:

Somehow the crook-I think he was overseas somewhere-was able to mine my user id and got my password-spyware I guess. He/she then set up repeating auctions for this fictional treadmill and satback and waited for the hook to set. Once the auction was underway, he'd PM the bidders saying he had a warehouse full of these things from a bankrupt business. He'd then offer to sell them one for $995 off the ebay books but insisted on using Western Union as the payment method. His scam was, he'd only be able to get the payment if the buyer revealed a secret password after they goods were received. Apparently either the password was BS or they had an insider on Western Union in on the scam.

My scammer even used one of these 3rd party auction companies (VEndio) to increase the volume of the listings without having to work too hard.

I ended up having to cancel my Ebay ID, my credit cards and reset most of my passwords on the internet. What a PIA.

What's worse, there is actually zero concern at Ebay, Vendio and especially Western Union. Every call, or email or live chat was met with -gee sorry, but the credit card companies handle the losses. Ever wonder why rates are so high?

Western Union was even worse. They said they would only talk to me if I had a subpoena.

It's now like these stupid Nigerian Millions faxes. Anybody with half a brain sees the scam right away-a $9k Boss 9-if it too good to be true, it ain't true. You'd think that Ebay would have some sort of simple verification process whereby you could digitally "sign" an auction or something like that. I guess when some enterprising John Edwards type trial lawyer picks up on how they can get a nice class-action going against Ebay, maybe they'll address the problems. Of course the attorney would get billions and the class would get free listings. Oops, my bias is showing.

J. Boggs

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks. i do understand more now. seems the scammers are really not stupid people,just crooks. really makes me more leary of e-bay. i personally could not buy a 30k car sight unseen i dont think/ i do believe alot of this is as mentioned-let me buy that boss 429 for 9k before someone else sees it-right!! i guess i was wrong-very wrong on e-bay being tight. seems it would be money.lots, if they were tight as they should be to run an honest ship. i also agree e-bays reputation is dwindling, esp. on cars, due to so many scams. ive bought a few times and been very pleased-luck!! but nothing expensive by no means. again, thanks very much for the info.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Holy cow John! Thanks so much for sharing this. I had no idea that people had the capability to do something like this. I guess that's why it's important to keep your spyware and antivirus software up to date. Kind of makes me not want to do business like this over the internet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts