Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

In the past, I recall this subject being beat up quite a bit. Recently, I ran across this link for what appears to be, a better alternative to our inefficient emergency brake systems.
WINTEC
I'm sure those not wanting to convert to the center pull handle can use our OEM sticks, as well. Just have to get a different LOKAR cable.

·
7,010 Posts
I like that concept a lot.

I'm still not clear where you would mount the handle if you have a console though. Any ideas?

Phil

·
Registered
520 Posts
Wow, that is definately slick. I am going to seriouisly consider thinking about possibly looking at purchasing that.

Seriously though, my E brake is a 25lb dumbell. I need to figure something out and this looks like a nice solution.

Jafo

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like that concept a lot.

I'm still not clear where you would mount the handle if you have a console though. Any ideas?

Phil

Hey Phil,

I have a console as well. Unless we are willing to modify our consoles in some nice way, I think we are relegated to using our existing pull handle. Which, I am thinking, will be much easier and improved. No doubt, LOKAR has a cable for it.
Ken

·
7,010 Posts
Hey Phil,

I have a console as well. Unless we are willing to modify our consoles in some nice way, I think we are relegated to using our existing pull handle. Which, I am thinking, will be much easier and improved. No doubt, LOKAR has a cable for it.
Ken
If you can figure out how to make it work, I'd sure be interested!

Phil

·
Registered
353 Posts
Those setups have been around for decades, typically for street-rod applications; bear in mind they require clearance for the rotor diameter at a point we don't really have it, and that the rotor ends up spinning 3-4x as fast as a wheel-mounted rotor would, there's the potential for introducing some significant vibration into the driveline.

I see no advantage in a setup like that when the vehicle's brakes already have parking-brake provisions.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Those are good points. Not to mention having to remove the yoke to install the disk, which is a bit of a pain and can be quite fiddly with getting the preloading right when you put it back on. You talked me out of it. 25lb dumbbell it is until i can scrounge the parts to use the drums. My car has absolutely no E-brake hardware on it right now.

Jafo

·
7,010 Posts
Those setups have been around for decades, typically for street-rod applications; bear in mind they require clearance for the rotor diameter at a point we don't really have it, and that the rotor ends up spinning 3-4x as fast as a wheel-mounted rotor would, there's the potential for introducing some significant vibration into the driveline.

I see no advantage in a setup like that when the vehicle's brakes already have parking-brake provisions.
If it works well...then that is the advantage over the e-brake on a '65 or '66 mustang, because they don't work worth a damn.

Phil

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I've been thinking about the 69 foot pedal type. It would interfere with the windshield washer foot switch on the 67/68 but I've already convinced myself that I was going to replace that system with an electric pump unit.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been thinking about the 69 foot pedal type. It would interfere with the windshield washer foot switch on the 67/68 but I've already convinced myself that I was going to replace that system with an electric pump unit.

Hi,

I looked at and even ordered the LOKAR foot pedal version, with the thought of converting my "Pull" type. However, the bracketry was not long enough and wasn't willing to modify the LOKAR bracket with welding extension etc. It was too costly to take the chance, so I returned it.
I looked at the electric "pull" systems which are popular with folks who are handicapped in some way and can't apply an E-brake for whatever reasons. This system is bolted to the underneath of the vehicle and connects to the rear brake cables and with the push of a button, it pulls the cables. They are expensive to the tune of approximately $500, not to mention they were proprietary sales to ambulatory providers. Overcoming this hurdle would provided another challenge. Next came the thought of using a "Line Lock", but, was discouraged by folks who suggested the solenoids would burn out with long periods of engagement. So, I abandoned this idea, as well.
Then came this pinion brake idea. Thus far this has the best chance of success, thus far.
So, we'll see. I'm, currently, involved with another project and can't get into it yet.
Hope this adds to the fray!

The came this pinion mounted deal. It looks like it has possibilities

1 - 11 of 11 Posts