Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an E-Stopp parking brake system installed in my '66 and decided to give it the ultimate test. I took it in front of my home (I live in a hillside area), engaged the E-Stopp brake, put the car in neutral, removed my foot off the brake and lo and behold -- the car rolled down the hill. I had the shop where I got it installed tighten it up and I tried my test again, and same results. I then tightened it up myself and tried my test again, and same results. My question is: Should that happen? What is the point of a parking brake if it cannot keep a car from rolling down a hill? Should I have stuck with the manual hand brake (albeit I did not do this hillside roll test when I still had the manual hand brake)? What are your guys' thoughts on all of this? Tips? Advice? Suggestions?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think that the whole deal with any parking break is to hold firm on majority of grades. maybe not a 45 deg grade but it should be holding.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I have no experience with this product or any Ebrake that is electrically activated....that being said, are your rear drums/pads in good shape? Adjusted properly? I’m not so sure about that product...it doesn’t seem to work so well for the price, then to pay a shop to install, you’ve probably spent 800 bucks and still don’t have a parking brake. I can guarantee the original hand brake would hold your car on a hill, if in good shape and adjusted properly. Send it back and tell them it did not work. Take a video, and send the receipts of the install...or contact Mr. Kindig...he designed it. Ask him WTF- why it cannot hold a light car like a mustang...just a thought.

Reactions: jaseology

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no experience with this product or any Ebrake that is electrically activated....that being said, are your rear drums/pads in good shape? Adjusted properly? I’m not so sure about that product...it doesn’t seem to work so well for the price, then to pay a shop to install, you’ve probably spent 800 bucks and still don’t have a parking brake. I can guarantee the original hand brake would hold your car on a hill, if in good shape and adjusted properly. Send it back and tell them it did not work. Take a video, and send the receipts of the install...or contact Mr. Kindig...he designed it. Ask him WTF- why it cannot hold a light car like a mustang...just a thought.
I agree with you. I emailed E-Stopp -- let's see what they say.
I have a feeling they will give me the run around and pose no viable solutions. I think this product is a gimmick and I was duped into getting it.

On that note, is there such thing as a mod for a foot-engage parking brake versus hand-engaged parking brake?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,252 Posts
My experience with these has only been with OEM versions and usually when I can't get them to release because the battery is dead and because the manufacturer (cough BMW cough) didn't leave a reasonable way to release the brake without power. From what I've seen with those they lock down pretty darn solid and the car isn't budging an inch without a tow truck. And you still have to drag them with the tires squealing.

Reactions: jaseology

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would hazard a guess that your rear brakes are not really up to snuff. It is not really surprising, Very few rear drum systems that have been around the block a few times are ever properly assembled. Pull your rear drums and post some pics, most likely the guys here will recognize a few problems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would hazard a guess that your rear brakes are not really up to snuff. It is not really surprising, Very few rear drum systems that have been around the block a few times are ever properly assembled. Pull your rear drums and post some pics, most likely the guys here will recognize a few problems.
They are brand new drums, shoes, spring, adjusters, etc. Everything is brand new. I did them myself and the shop that installed the E-Stopp said my installation work was good to go. I can post some pictures as soon as I work on them again. But yeah, all brand new.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,252 Posts
Until you actually tested it? Or did you immediately test it on a hill and find it to function properly and later it failed to perform? Sorry, I'm not clear on this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Until you actually tested it? Or did you immediately test it on a hill and find it to function properly and later it failed to perform? Sorry, I'm not clear on this.
I immediately tested it when I got it installed and it did not hold the car. At that point I took it back to the resto shop to get it adjusted and even after their adjustments it still did not work properly.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Still, I bet that some pics of your drum setup posted here and somebody would find an issue. Mechanics in general do not know the intricacies of every drum brake setup, and if there are no loose parts and it seem to function would say that it was great.
If you really want to find your problem that is where you need to start. If you want to just bash a product that you have buyers remorse over, then continue on your current path.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still, I bet that some pics of your drum setup posted here and somebody would find an issue. Mechanics in general do not know the intricacies of every drum brake setup, and if there are no loose parts and it seem to function would say that it was great.
If you really want to find your problem that is where you need to start. If you want to just bash a product that you have buyers remorse over, then continue on your current path.
I'm not hating on the product. I think it's a great product and great concept/idea. I will take/post photos when I work on it again (hopefully this weekend, time permitting). From my email correspondences today with E-Stopp, it sounds like I might have received a defective one. Next steps are to get that address with the resto shop and E-Stopp.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Have any photos of how your shop mounted the actuator?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Just curious. Did you test your original hand brake before installing the E-Stopp? All it does is basically pull the cables for you. So, if it is not working something else might be wrong.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just curious. Did you test your original hand brake before installing the E-Stopp? All it does is basically pull the cables for you. So, if it is not working something else might be wrong.
The previous hand brake handle was broken, so I could not use it. I went straight to E-Stopp.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Have any photos of how your shop mounted the actuator?

Photos here.

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
I have the E-Stopp on my car and with rear disc brakes. It's properly installed but if I was on a steep hill, I wouldn't trust it without having the wheels turned the appropriate way. I also wouldn't trust a late model hand brake either.

As for the company, I can speak that their customer service is excellent. I had a defective module and I didnt try installing until 3 years after purchase. They sent a new module within 3 days without issue.

I am curious though and I'll test out the steep hill effectiveness.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have the E-Stopp on my car and with rear disc brakes. It's properly installed but if I was on a steep hill, I wouldn't trust it without having the wheels turned the appropriate way. I also wouldn't trust a late model hand brake either.

As for the company, I can speak that their customer service is excellent. I had a defective module and I didnt try installing until 3 years after purchase. They sent a new module within 3 days without issue.

I am curious though and I'll test out the steep hill effectiveness.
Yea their customer service is great. I got in contact with them yesterday and they are willing to send me a new unit or refund if I would like. Just today the resto shop guy said he wants to work on it one last time. He said it might be because the shoes are not making 100% full body contact with the drums, rather only a small portion is touching. He said to remedy that he will need to contour the shoes to the exact shape of each drum -- like hand in glove. Going to take the car in later this week. Let us see how it goes.

And yes, please do test your E-Stopp on an incline. I am curious if it holds the car.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts