Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
The E-stopp has up to a 600 lb pull. If that's not enough to set the brakes you may have to construct an equalizer or leverage bar to give it a little more pull. You could probably increase the pull by about 50% with a 50% reduction in the length of the pull.

Reactions: jaseology

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Ok, so I would guess that your new brake system has not been adjusted properly, as well as not being "broken in" properly. Since it is all new, you need to "bed" the brakes. By looking at the places on the shoe that are making contact you can see that you are not making full contact with the entire surface...in fact, very little surface. You need to get it on a back road and do some driving, stopping and going, forward and reverse too. There is a specific process. If you have done this...( shop should have) ignore this post. IF NOT, check out how to bed your brakes below. The link is one that Shawn (SOT) posted

From what I could tell from your pics, the shoes appear to be installed correctly, meaning primary and secondary shoes are in the proper locations. This is an easy mistake, one that is happening to me more often and I have to go look in the book. Then the pic in the manual only shows one pic, or doesn't show exactly which side you are looking at, or doesn't show the direction the tire turns...and then it becomes a picture guessing game.... I get it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok, so I would guess that your new brake system has not been adjusted properly, as well as not being "broken in" properly. Since it is all new, you need to "bed" the brakes. By looking at the places on the shoe that are making contact you can see that you are not making full contact with the entire surface...in fact, very little surface. You need to get it on a back road and do some driving, stopping and going, forward and reverse too. There is a specific process. If you have done this...( shop should have) ignore this post. IF NOT, check out how to bed your brakes below. The link is one that Shawn (SOT) posted

From what I could tell from your pics, the shoes appear to be installed correctly, meaning primary and secondary shoes are in the proper locations. This is an easy mistake, one that is happening to me more often and I have to go look in the book. Then the pic in the manual only shows one pic, or doesn't show exactly which side you are looking at, or doesn't show the direction the tire turns...and then it becomes a picture guessing game.... I get it.

This is good information. Thanks for sharing. I do not think they performed this "bedding in" process. I will discuss this with the shop.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
another possibility is the drum is out of round...and that could be the issue with poor contact. It's gonna take some driving and breaking in...I'd ask them if they did the process, a reputable brake shop should know this, but not all take the time...do you have drums or discs in the front? just curious.

Reactions: jaseology

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
another possibility is the drum is out of round...and that could be the issue with poor contact. It's gonna take some driving and breaking in...I'd ask them if they did the process, a reputable brake shop should know this, but not all take the time...do you have drums or discs in the front? just curious.
I have discs in the front.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Re-arching my new brake shoes so all the surface touched the drum made a HUGE difference in the power of my stock parking brake. I did it very DIY, with some very coarse sandpaper put inside the drums, sliding the shoes back and forward.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
The E-Stopp is actually more of a parking brake than an E-brake. In fact, it has an electrical connection that will prevent it from activating when the ignition is on. That connection isn't requiired for operation of the E-Stopp but they recommend it.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,983 Posts
Those thinking the parking brake is for emergencies has never pulled one while doing 55 down a dirt road....

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Well now I'm confused. If the E-Stop doesn't work as an emergency brake, then you still need a conventional emergency brake. Why would you spend the money on this? Just fix the conventional E-brake, it would be cheaper.
It will work as an emergency brake, if that's what you want, and the stop will be a controlled stop if it is set up correctly.
I used to drive an 18 wheeler, equipped with air brakes. They have a valve on the dash that controls the park brake and the trailer brake. I was always told to never apply the trailer brake while moving because it may cause the trailer to fish tail. Well, since I was told to never apply the trailer parking brake while moving, I decided to try it. I was empty and on a straight road, at about 40MPH I pushed in the clutch, and hit the trailer parking brake. Somewhat disappointed, all it did was come to a gradual stop. No drama, no nothing.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,252 Posts
Those thinking the parking brake is for emergencies has never pulled one while doing 55 down a dirt road....
I admit nothing. Nor did I do away with my underdash brake handle in favor of a handle on the transmission tunnel specifically to facilitate such foolishness. Nope.

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 4 spd, 65 convertible 5.0L 5 spd. 3.73 8.8
253 Posts
Well i will nit pick this brake installation. The blue spring should go before the yellow one, the adjuster cable wear it hooks the lever should be turned 180, hook up from back side. There is no lubricant at all moving intersections, shoes to backing plate rub spots, under cable cam, adjuster ends and threads. The drum has a blackish wear ring about 1/3 in, which they need to be seated by driving and hard stopping a few times. Then bring it back in, jack it up, put in neutral and adjust the brakes up so that there is a slight drag while spinning the wheel. I'm not telling you did it wrong, but i'm just a little anal about the little things that would be done if it left my shop, I can't have customers complain about anything.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts