Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of or seen an “early production” 1970 fastback that has the ‘70 front end but the ‘69 rear quarter vents? This seller is claiming that’s the case, but I notice it also has the ‘70 taillight panel... so I am thinking it is more likely someone just added the rear vents at some point. But I thought I would ask if anyone has seen or heard of what he is claiming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
never existed from Ford.
someone replaced the 2 qtrs or the nose parts or the front clip at one time

Reactions: Grabber70Mach

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
My $2 says it's a 70 and they were added somewhere down the line. You could (seller willing) pull the interior trim loose and peek behind to see. The factory IIRC had a steel 'cross' brace that the scoops bolted in to. If they look homemade, you'll have your answer, right? Of course they could have used '9 panels as well. That said, look in the trunk and see if there's a cut line along the quarter. For what it's worth, they look good! lol
Image result for 1969 mustang fastback quarter panel

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
What if it was a wrecked 69 with 70 front parts and maybe tail panel? The VIN and a Marti Report will tell you more than the owner probably wants to know.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,427 Posts
With today's computer records and stuff like CarFax you don't see it so much anymore but back as late as the 1990's people would buy a car wrecked in front and a car wrecked in the rear, cut them both in half, and literally weld the two good halves together. A lot of such actually went on to bring "totalled" cars back to life.
Not saying this exactly is what's up here just that there are folks out there who would think nothing of doing a much simpler parts mix and match. And it sure looks like someone did. The car could have been "back halved" but it seems unlikely they would have swapped tail panels. Very much more likely someone just replaced the '70 (rusted out or wrecked) quarters with '69 ones for whatever reason.

Reactions: gt350sr

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
When
With today's computer records and stuff like CarFax you don't see it so much anymore but back as late as the 1990's people would buy a car wrecked in front and a car wrecked in the rear, cut them both in half, and literally weld the two good halves together. A lot of such actually went on to bring "totalled" cars back to life.
Not saying this exactly is what's up here just that there are folks out there who would think nothing of doing a much simpler parts mix and match. And it sure looks like someone did. The car could have been "back halved" but it seems unlikely they would have swapped tail panels. Very much more likely someone just replaced the '70 (rusted out or wrecked) quarters with '69 ones for whatever reason.
I was working for a glass shop, there were at least 4-6 guys doing exactly what you mention......EXACTLY. They would literally cut the car in 1/2, straight across the roof and through the floor side to side, but the 2 halves together, and weld it back up! No extra bracing, no inner sleeves, simply butt welded! I always assumed they would someday be like the car James bond was driving.... hit in the side and he kept driving the front half! LOL

·
Registered
973 Posts
I once owned a 72 240Z that was two cars put together just behind the drivers seat. Great car except it had a tendency to vapor lock at just the wrong time. Twas on a cloverleaf when it vapor locked and I pulled to the inside of the turn. A truck hugging the turn plowed into the back of the Z and it was then totaled forever.

·
Premium Member
13,249 Posts
There was a car like this for sale in Dallas recently. It was a '69 Mach 1 with '70 fenders, grille, etc. There's a lot more to the conversion that just swapping the fenders and grille though. The radiator support and other structure must also be changed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts