Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been discussed before, but I've tried the search feature first and couldn't find anything.

I have a '65 six-cylinder and need a new pressure plate. It's the small 8-1/2" that mates with the recessed flywheel. The original 3-finger plate is nearly impossible to find, but I'm curious if anyone has come up with a way to install a diaphragm style plate on these cars.

I've heard stories about modifying the flywheel to accept an Alfa pressure plate. Supposedly it works well, but I'm not sure what it will involve, plus it's still an expensive and hard to find part.

What are others doing? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Stu (Wichita, Kansas)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Check rockauto.com or autozone, they show them online.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions, but I've tried those both. The Autozone unit is out of stock indefinitely, and Rock only sells the complete clutch kit. I only want the pressure plate, as I've changed over to a T5, so the disc, throwout bearing and pilot bearing are all different.

Also, the replacement units are three-finger pressure plates. A diaphragm unit is much smoother and requires less movement to fully release. This would be a very worthwhile upgrade, whether with a stock tranny or a T5. Most would agree that the original 8-1/2" clutch set-up wasn't that great, even 45 years ago.

I'm hoping someone has crossed this bridge ahead of me. If not, I'll post my experience as it happens - the good, the bad and the ugly.
-Stu

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
This clutch is available new, as a set. The Mustang shop near here gets such clutches rebuilt, if you only want to renew the pressure plate.

No one has ever made a diaphram clutch for the 'salad bowl' flywheel, which you have to use. Converting to a foreign-car clutch would probably cost more than buying a new one and using only the pressure plate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
. . . The Mustang shop near here gets such clutches rebuilt, if you only want to renew the pressure plate . . .
Whats the name and location of the shop? I haven't been able to find anyone locally.

. . .No one has ever made a diaphram clutch for the 'salad bowl' flywheel, which you have to use. Converting to a foreign-car clutch would probably cost more than buying a new one and using only the pressure plate.
"Salad Bowl" flywheel - I'd never heard that one! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree, it would be more expensive, but the diaphragm action would sure be a nice improvement. I changed my '68 AMX from a Borg and Beck (3-finger) to a diaphragm. The pedal pressure is waaaaaaaaay less and the engagement is smooth as butter.

Here's a guy who did this on a Falcon. Maybe I'm the only one intrigued by this possibility.

Rickwrench, Alfa GTV, Falcon Squire, Corvair

1 - 5 of 5 Posts