Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This old thing (64.5) doesn't have a rag joint. :: How do I get it apart at the steering box? ::

·
Premium Member
19,198 Posts
There isn't a rag joint. The steering column shaft is integral to the steering box....you have the remove the whole thing as a unit.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:: So, take off the steering wheel, detach the pitman arm, undo the steering box from the frame and it'll slide out the front?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Well, almost.

Remove the DS exhaust manifold, support the engine, and remove the DS motor mount from the frame and the engine mount.

Then, you can lift the engine up high, and pull the box and shaft out between the firewall and the shock tower.

I took mine out through the bottom after all these modifications, and put it back in from the top.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Paul. I have this Vert completely apart. The ONLY parts left in the whole car are the steering column & gear box, along with the front suspension and steering linkages.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Before you tear into the box, you might want to take a look at Stanger's Site: http://www.stangerssite.com/steering.html

I had mine all apart, and decided to let him rebuild it. Got it back a week later and it looks fantastic. Now if I can only get the engine finished so I can take her for a ride.

Gerald

1 - 7 of 7 Posts