Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding my 1972 302 and have found out that there is a difference between Jan thru May 1st and later 1972s. The numbers off my timing chain cover are C8AE 6059A. The numbers off my timing gear (CAM) are S408. The numbers off my Crank shaft gear is S431. The block is at the maching shop so I don't have access to the casting numbers right now. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I was thinking also. I am hoping that the timing cover has been swapped out. I guess I'd better stop by the machine shop this afternoon and inspect the block itself. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
Just because it has a C8XX part # does not necessarily mean it is a 68 part. That may be the last year the timing cover was revised, so no need for a new part #. If you look on the cover, there should be a 3 digit code, it would be number-letter-number. This will give you the actual date of manufacture. The sequence is day of month-month(letter code) and last digit of the year mfr'd.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts